Home Dota 2

DotaHattery is Accepting ALL Serious New Bloom 2015 Workshop Submissions

Hello fellow counters of polies!

I intend to build a new page dedicated to showing off the New Bloom 2015 submissions on the Hattery and as such I am accepting all *serious* submissions into the Hattery for the New Bloom 2015 event! So it doesn't matter if you have had something accepted in game yet or not (the current requirement). By *serious* submissions I mean your submission is not a joke (a pair of sunglasses for Furion, a boombox for Earthshaker, or a banana weapon for Tiny) or offensive (violating Valve's workshop submission rules -- sorry no dickbutts Wlad!). I still reserve the right to refuse any submission for any reason. My personal opinion of if I like your hats or not will NOT affect you being added to the Hattery. It is not for me to pass judgement on your hats :)

I have not yet had a chance to develop an automated tool for constructing the Hattery's Workshop pages, so I will still be building them all by hand. But the process for me is much more streamlined than when I first started! So please understand if it takes me a little while to add your submission based on how many I have queued up to work on at one time. It can take me 30 minutes to multiple hours to build a page depending on a bunch of factors (have I done that hero before? any bugs with this particular submission? etc).

The submissions must be tagged with the spring2015 event tag in the Steam Workshop.

I will NOT be accepting/allowing custom pedestals for the New Bloom 2015 submissions as I want all submissions to be on the same pedestal.

However, the Pepperoni List (http://dotahattery.com/hatters/) is still only for those hatters who have been accepted in game previously. You will not be added to that list just because I added your New Bloom 2015 submission to the Hattery (unless of course you have had something in game and you just aren't on the Pepperoni List yet!). The list in general may be replaced in the future with something more "professional" anyway.

For the New Bloom 2015 Showcase page, I intend to explore using some of the things that people around here have liked about the old Steam Workshop while hopefully eliminating some of the problems it had (only one 'thing' per hat/set, etc). It will be an experiment of sorts, so feedback is welcome throughout the process once it is built!

Why you should submit to the Hattery:
  1. Showcase your hats in real-time 3D directly from any modern dekstop web browser!
  2. Allow users to mix and match your hats with existing in-game hats!
  3. More eyes on your hats! The low end tends to be a couple hundrend clicks from the Hattery to the Steam Workshop whereas the more popular hats can receive thousands!
  4. Showcase a custom animation for a courier or ward!

Process:
  • Shoot me a PM with a screenshot or the link to your Steam Workshop submission page if it is submitted already (so that I can confirm that it is a serious submission).
  • I will ask you to zip/rar up and send me the compiled models and compiled textures for the hat(s) either via a link to a dropbox-like website or attached in an email.
  • I will build the page and then send you a link for your approval (in case we need to fix anything).
  • Upon approval by you, I will announce that the page is live via my Twitter (https://twitter.com/dotahattery) and add the submission to the New Bloom 2015 Showcase page when I finish building it.

For each item in your submission, I will need the compiled models which typically consists of 3 files:
*.vtx
*.mdl
*.vvd
There may be more files. Just add all the files in the directory that has those into the .zip/.rar archive.

I will also need the compiled textures for each item in the submission. These include 5 files:
*.vmt
*_color.vtf
*_mask1.vtf
*_mask2.vtf
*_normal.vtf

I will also need any custom detail textures if you have those!

Unfortunately I still don't have particles yet, so I won't need you to send me those. I'm in an awkward position of should I try to work on particles now or wait until the Engine Upgrade with the supposedly new particle format which might render any work that I do now with the old format pointless.

All that I ask in return is that you put a link to the Hattery page for the submission in the Steam Workshop submission/collection's description.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you, good luck, and happy hatting!

Replies