Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lowpoly pixel art aesthetic

Bummer6
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
Looking through the lowpoly thread I've seen a lot of these cool 3D models.
lowpoly_ship.gif
I have a background i spriting and pixel art, so this kind of stuff is right up my alley! Problem is I can't seem to find any tutorials about this style. I've tried to learn as much as I can on my own, but some documentation would help a ton.

Here's something i made trying to replicate the style. It's poop in comparison to what others have been doing in the lowpoly thread though.
render.bmp
and here's the texture (sorry about the small image)
axuv.bmp

So, how can I improve?

Replies

• Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    For such a low poly asset, you have 2 things that really matters: the silouhette of the object, and the texture. I think the silouhette is pretty self-explanatory, so lets talk about texture!

First of all, you want to make sure your asset as proper values (the center of interest should generally be brighter than things of lesser importance for example). You might want to think of it as "contrast". In other words: if your whole object as a similar value, it will be pretty bland.
    In that regards, gradients will also help (as you can see in the example you showed).

An other important thing is to create an interesting color palette. You might want to study color theory to learn wich color fits/complements wich color.

To finish, I'd advice you to stop trying to find tutorials that fit this specific style. You want to learn about texturing... and texturing is nothing else than painting really. So look for painting courses instead, and learn about lighting/value/color theory etc.

I hope that'll help you. Keep it up!
  • michalczyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michalczyk polycounter lvl 17
    Looks cool :) I like low poly art, it brings back some good memories. I can't offer any advice as I have little experience with low poly artwork, but perhaps googling for the textures from the game Forsaken (released in late 1990s) would give you some ideas on how to improve your textures. Forsaken's textures were bigger, most were 256x256, but could still be of use for inspiration. I remember how impressed I was by them back then. They were amazing.