Home Technical Talk

PBR Hybrid

StormyBA
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
Just thought I'd make a quick post with some questions on PBR workflow and how we can In corporate PBR into our mobile gaming pipeline.

So, I've spent the last few days catching up on what PBR is and have a pretty decent grasp on the concept. We have been working on a mobile/tablet with unity 4 the last two years and this newish way of working has some what passed us by.

We have now moved onto a new project, again on mobile, and are currently working out how we want to work. PBR is the obvious way forward, esp because it is better incorporated into unity 5.

On glance there do seem to be some possible issues and blockers that I'm looking to get some thoughts on.

First off are mobile budgets, working on mobile means some pretty tight budgets, our work budget has been 90k tris and as little as 10 draw calls.

This firstly reduces our poly spend in the smaller details meaning we are painting a decent amount of lighting \ detail into the diffuse. Not very PBR.

So few draw calls also means our texture budget is low, not so much in terms of size but quantity is an issue, having albedo, normal, AO, diffuses in posh shaders will use up our budget far to quickly. That alone is 4 of our 10 draw calls.

We have to be much smarter and get what we can out of the alpha. Do we use spec or full bright for example. We also need to get an entire city onto a these textures!

Low poly budgets and no normal maps means there is not a ton of detail within the env to make the full use of what PBR can achive which goes back to painting in light and detail into the diffuse/albedo.

As I said we are moving onto a new project and budgets have not yet been decided. A smarter modding and culling systems will likely mean more room for textures and detail. Right now we have no idea how far we will be able to push it but even if we can double the budgets its hard to know if its still enough to get the full effect of pbr.

I'm really looking for any advice or pointers for, as the title says, a kind of pbr hybrid. Taking the ideas of of pbr but still having a decent level of detail in the diffuse to make up for the short fall of detail in geometry and normal maps.

Our previous textures have been pretty standard cgtextures based work, its quick and effect (we have little time for lots of hipoly work) these kind of images are not great for pbr! Is there a goods methods to convert images to pbr and what are the best image resorces for pbr?

I have grabbed the quixel Indy pack, it seems good but should I also be using substance? Both combined or is one better then the other. We are building a pretty large area so speed calls the essence.

Thanks in advance and apologies for bad grammes. Typing on tablet sucks!