Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low-poly Gun

Hey folks, I'm looking for some feedback on this gun assignment. It's my first gun so I'm not sure where I should optimize more or improve the mesh. The goal is pbr in UE4.

Current stats are 16.2k verts/16k poly's.

Some parts need some more work, but I wanted to know if I'm on the right track :) Will post updates here as well if wanted.

Thanks, Bram

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    - For the Low Poly don't be afraid of triangles. The model is all triangles in the engine. The only time tris can be bad is if you get shading issues
    - Any edge that doesn't add to the silhouette or the model in anyway doesn't need to be there, Primary talking about flat surfaces
    - Look at other guns of the same type and complexity to get an idea of tris counts you should be aiming for. Look at games like Far Cry 4, Battlefield 3-4, Crysis, CoD there are plenty of Art dumps on here to give you an idea. It's always good to aim for as low as possible but sometimes keeping a few extra edges will help keep the model looking smooth and "next gen".
  • bramnicaise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update to the gun, didn't change much in the low poly considering the limited timeframe. I did learn alot making this gun, here's the result.

https://artstation.com/artwork/pbr-steyr-aug-modded

edit: forgot to say thanks to Carl for the feedback :)

Bram