Home General Discussion

Applying for a Junior Enivornment/Prop Artist job

kevingamerartist
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kevingamerartist polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,
For artists who have started off as a Junior Environment Artist or Prop Artist, or even an Environment Artist, I had a quick question about applying for a Junior Environment Artist position. So I want to apply for a position, but I wanted to ask how much of a portfolio do you need to apply to a Junior Artist job? I'm still working on an environment right now, but I was just curious if you need a huge amount of work done to be considered, or if you can show some work that you have done and still be considered for a Junior Artist position.

Any feedback about this question is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Replies

• heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    2 1/2 environments with a side of props.

But seriously. Think quality over quantity. It's not about how much, it's about how well.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Badass work first and foremost. A small scene and a few props is enough to get people in the door at most studios if they are kickass. Get on the PBR train while its still "new" and people are adjusting to the workflow. If you want an env position, a little bit of lighting skill, composition skill, and ability to create story with your composition/art.

As a junior, you shoulnt worry about side skills like concepting (though, of all side skills, this is a plus), tech art, etc. Focus on your core skillset first and foremost. That was my issue starting out, wanting to do it all. Just make props, make some foliage, make some tileable building assets, slap it together in an awesomesauce scene, light it up, and take some sick ass screenshots = profit.