Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Hammer diplomacy

q-v
Hello there, fellow summoners (or not).:poly122:

Where do we start. Ok, there is not much time, about 48 hours to finish, so, ill try to be laconic and wrap up in time... Little rant wont hurt me, i guess.

Contest theme is favourite champ, so i got no choice here- my fav is totally Poppy. I start with (pic 1.) some really rough composition sketches, to pick which i like the most and develop them further. You probably saw some early concepts of her new look in dev blogs, so, i thought this is nice opportunity to flex her look, before VU lock her down in some point.
My initial idea was about changing her hammer and expanding fighting style into something unique and clever at the same time. Two key ingridients of Poppy is ultimate offence and defence with no middle ground (in every aspect of gameplay)- if she wanna rumble, she onehit people with mace; asking for protection- absolute shield. So, she carries shield and hammer as symbols. But, while she covered with ulti sphere, there is no need in shield itself, so i wondering about her weapon transforms into something more suitable for this 6 seconds, like split into two hammers, and Poppy run like a hurricane, smashing faces. Unfortunately, didnt manage to pull of this visually in any way, leave this task for later on. For exchange, gave her 1,5H Whomper instead of 1H for manual switch (pic 2).
Jump back to compositions- i leaved out two pics: dynamic and static. Static one (pic 2, top one) looked boring, no matter how i turned her, so i decided to work with dynamic one, in the some time developing scenario. Having nothin real in mind, i went on search through Journal of Justice archives to find anything about Poppy daily duties, cause her lore telling us only about achieving 'ambassador' title mostly. The thing is, i found weirdest story (vol 1, issue 9) where narrator writes that she went on vacation and spend money Demacia paid her for Bandle City travel, to rest in 5-star hotel rooms and such stuff (what). I clung onto 'travel' concept and imagined her on a dismounted trip through the mountains with few demacian friends. This is more likely static shot story, but i love this so much that 'dynamic' concept got erased and new sketch is my way to go. I can set or clear characters depending on time window, work with light and tweak workflow any way, so i presume this is right decision.

Ok, enough chipchat. After this topic got posted, ill enlarge last sketch, tight up details on medium level and start to grow colors on. cya next time!

4i7XRkk.jpg
vdyS2bt.jpg

Replies