Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My substance materials

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a cottage wood cabin planks in progress.

planks.jpg
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Keep kicking ass on these. Love the roofing and this wood is sexy :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    @rogelio: thanks man! :)

@Shinigami: I'm not sure I understand your question. Substance automatically tiles things, if that's youre question. Yes, substance can also texture props very nicely, specially if you use substance Painter together with it.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Shinigami wrote: »
    quick question: the tiles of you guys dont look tiled when applied. How is that sorcery done?

Ill try to answear this one maybe Bugo can expand.

I think you mean how to make a tiling texture not look tiled when tiling or lessen the effect.

Several things to this... short answer is practice. but some general guidelines below to follow... I am sure we can make a huge list of guidelines and workflows when it comes to this but here are some general things to look at.

Frequency of the shapes and forms
    Maintaining an alike frequency of details in the texture tile when it comes to forms, size, length, rotation, and depth. For example if I am making a gravel texture and all of a sudden only a few of the gravel chunks are significantly bigger or smaller than the other you will visually get the viewers attention and that is when the player will notice the tile. So maintaining uniformity helps in this. Substance Designer procedural method actually helps this a great deal.

Color and Value frequency

When it comes to color and value it is good to maintain an overall tone throughout as to not have something obvious visually. like for example if you are making a cobble stone texture having variants per stone when it comes to color or value will add interest, but try not to deviate where one stone is red and one stone is green and than you only have one that is yellow, or also on value like one being too bright while the other very dark.

Pattern creating patterns

Architectural materials will use patterns more so than nature ones, but also be aware that sometimes when doing pattern placement sometimes you get other patterns sticking out visually so try to tweak placement in till the pattern is hard to find like the roof top substance Bugo did. it has a general pattern of staggered roof tiles on top of each other since it is a old roof tile look some are rotated and placed randomly to give it a more organic and natural feel. notice he has a few tiles that stick slightly out but he compensated by rotating others that are of equal distance to one another this helps to preserve a main pattern but also the mid to micro patterns.

Shaders and Textures

Making tiling textures for the most part will create textures that look like tiles... I can see most games and notice a tile pretty easily, but what makes it even less noticeable is actually doing great blends in engine combining several textures into a material vertex blend to make it a lot less obvious.

Sorry for slightly hijacking :) these are some general tidbit guidelines to follow when making tiling textures... I break these rules all the time also since sometimes I just want a specific look and I get the shader to help me out on the blend side to limit the tiled effect.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    that's ok, thanks for bringing that over, I'm quite lazy to type ;)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Here's an update, now with color:
    hugo-beyer-planks-color.jpg
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing stuff!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Wanted to bump this thread with a new substance ;)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    You keep kicking so much ass with substance Hugo! Great work good sir!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thats really amazing, you have a really good balance of low, mid and high freq details.  And the color variation is really good.
    Great work! 
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
  • zeeshannasir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zeeshannasir polycounter lvl 4
    Wrong thread *post deleted*
     Sorry about that! Btw, I love your substance materials.