Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Who likes Demons?? Conecpt Wip

sci_mind
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sci_mind polycounter lvl 9
Hey I have this new creature im working on. I found a cool concept on the internet and im referencing it to make my creature. I"m thinking about making him more of a forest creature and not so much a hell demon like in the concept.

Anyone have any advice on sculpting stylized muscles or an opinion on my progress.

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    It would be helpful if you posted the reference concept, maybe a moodboard.
    It may be a good idea to credit the concept artist, too.

That said, this looks pretty cool. The legs and arms are rad, but the posture of the creature is maybe a little stuff and unbalanced-- mostly from the side. Not too much of an issue, but an easy fix so I figured I'd mention it.

The lip area/nostrils, chin and jaw seem out of place and a little uncanny, too. Not so sure about that, design wise, and it seems a little unnecessarily lumpy.

Good start though, interested to see where this goes!
  • sci_mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow :) thank i'll go back and see what i can do about the pose and face. Also is this a website i can upload pictures to? I think its called photo dump or something. its popular for uploading pic to forums and stuff.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    imgur is popular and won't take your photos down if you get a lot of traffic (which can happen easily here!). :)
  • sci_mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://imgur.com/Mn9j1G8,5HpIQ9g#0

http://imgur.com/Mn9j1G8,5HpIQ9g#1

Here i have the original concept and a quick change to the face.

sadly i forgot the artist name but i think it's on the bttm left of the concept
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    It's by this artist: http://www.artstation.com/artist/idalino
    I just used Google image search.

You can also copy the text below "BBCode (message boards & forums)" on imgur and paste it here to embed the images, like this without the spaces:
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/5HpIQ9g.jpg[ /img][/img]5HpIQ9g.jpg
  • sci_mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel silly for not thinking of that :) I one the things i was hoping to match were the legs but off and made it more real because the muscles seemed stylized, same with the whole body. I cant seem to match that style so thats why i went off and kinda did my own thing
  • dimosM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, so what's your goal as far as the anatomy goes ? Are you aiming at something that can actually function at real life, closer to human anatomy ? (aside from the fact that he is a creature of course :)). I am referring mainly at the upper arms and legs.
  • sci_mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well for the most part I wanted to make the anatomy look somewhat believable to the point where if i posed him or animated it would look like his body worked. Other than that I just want to make him look cool design wise.
  • dimosM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for taking that long to answer, i missed your reply somehow. Anyway, i think it would help a lot if you focused a little more on the upper legs and arms, there are a couple of things wrong with them ;
    Upper arm: look at the triceps insertion/origin, this muscle has 3 heads and they all attach into a common tendon which later one inserts to the olecranon (look especially at the lateral and long heads as those ones are the most visible). Your creature right now is like having a second bicep looking at it from the back.
    Upper leg: 0) Take a look at the sartorius and tensor fasciae latae muscles ; they both originate from the anterior superior iliac spine, and they are gonna help you place the quadriceps. Right now the medial head of your quads has taken the place of the sartorius and became really really long.
    1)Look at the common tendon of the quads, and how the heads share it(you need to move the lateral head up a bit, the medial head is at the right height).
    Good luck :)