Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Setting up materials in maya after getting textures in DDO

Please, please demystify this for me.

1. How do I set up the materials in Maya to have the properties like they have in 3DO? It's so basic but I haven't seen anyone go over it in the tutorials I've watched. I open maya and default is lambert which obviously won't work for metallic textures. But I can't use phong or blinn for the whole character (it doesn't look right for metal anyway). I can't just select faces on the areas of the mesh I want to display as a different material because it would look straight up retarded and it doesn't seem to work right anyway.

2. When I'm exporting materials, how do I set up the metalness map in DDO? Currently, when I assign a material to an ID, there's no information stored in the Spec/Metalness tab. I can't remember the name of main tab, if it's diffuse or whatever, but when shift+C assign a material with the main tab selected, do you have to repeat the action with the Metalness tab open?

Replies

• antihero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump. Bumpity bump bump. Why no one explain? It would really help, I did pay for this software it'd be cool to get some support.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    1, You shouldn't really be using Maya for game rez renders
    2, and the answer to your question, there is no PBR calibrated shader in Maya by default AFAIK, so there's no input for your metalness. You will have to find an external setup, I'm sure there's a few. Google "Autodesk Maya PBR shader" or something.

But I suggest using a renderer that's intended for PBR and Game Resolution items eg a game engine like Unity, CryEngine or Unreal Engine 4, or something like Marmoset Toolbag. :)

Can't help you on the "how to set up the metalness map" front, only just got DDO myself, sorry.