Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4R6: Sculpting hard to reach places.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Glacierfox polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, i'm a fairly new Zbrush user but I can use pretty much most of the sculpting tools and brush controls. I'm actually quite new to sculpting altogether actually as coming from Modo and 3ds max.

My question ism what is the best way to sculpt in hard to reach places? As you can see in the attached image from Hossein Diba over at CGSociety they guy has a leather jacket on. How would this guy have sculpted or painted under there? Through masking and hiding or some other method?

Thanks for any help guys, just trying to get to grip with most fundamental things before I begin making any organic things :)

Replies

• S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    1. Use polygroups, then hide parts of a meshes by mouse clicks. Most likely the fastest method.

2. Related to previous. Keep mesh parts separate, then hide occluding. Works on mechanical stuff mostly.

3. Or use ZBrush specific selection methods, these can "creep" along topology with moderate success, so that you can mask a finger, tip of a nose or such then, invert masking and hide other parts of a mesh.
  • Glacierfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Glacierfox polycounter lvl 8
    Ah right fantastic, thank you for the tips!