Home Technical Talk

Does my sculpt look distorted ?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
TylerGreen polycounter lvl 5
I decided to try sculpting in Zbrush with perspective turned off. Then when I was done I turned it back on and I felt like it was a bit distorted. Is it ? or is it just me ? Should I sculpt in Flat or Perspective ?

Flat
LKBs2WI.jpg

Perspective
tYrbm8u.jpg

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    That's how perspective works,haha. Try to play with the settings in Draw panel, I think you should usually use 30-50 FoV for sculpting.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Just to make a note;

I wish it would just be typical perspective issue. Naturally, you have to adjust perspective to make objects look acceptable. Check any photography tutorial about use of wide and telephoto lenses.

But to be honest, that is not only issue you can encounter in ZBrush;

- ZBrush perspective is a hack to some degree, it's not exact.
    - In early versions there wasn't even perspective mode.
    - Perspective has a couple of options, it can be either aligned to canvas or object, but those don't help that much IMHO
    - There is some skew happening all the time, especially near edges of viewport.

Some tips to counter this;
    - Don't use perspective mode, toggle it off to view model in plain orthographic mode
    - Check your model proportions in 3d software that has proper perspective (Maya, Max, Blender, Silo etc)
    - Customize ZBrush UI and add perspective amount spinner to UI, then you can tweak it when in doubt
    - Less perspective / longer lens settings (telephoto) IMO give more acceptable results
    - Don't use matcaps when sculpting, try "modeling light" kind of setup, use simple standard materials that don't destroy how curvature of shape is shown

Seems like it doesn't bother that many folks, I guess its personal, but at least for me it makes reading / judging quality of shapes a lot harder, I hope they eventually fix it, but it seems like it's very unlikely to happen in v5.

Try Mudbox or 3DCoat to see if this makes any difference for you.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Use perspective, even though it's not true perspective it will give you a better look than sculpting in orthographic mode, and when you bring it into a program like maya or keyshot it will look more correct. If you set the view angle to somewhere around 20 it's closer to a camera for a portrait, so that will help when sculpting heads. A viewing angle of around 50 is good for a whole body character.

Will it fuck things up if you're trying to trace, or match up perfectly to an image that was taken with a real camera? Yes. But I wouldn't recommend doing that anyway unless you're using schematics and making hard surface pieces.