Mari and Modo Indie available now on Steam

Replies

• Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    dzibarik wrote: »
    if it is Autodesk Modo is done.

True, but I would imagine the people making the decisions at The Foundry are smart enough not to let Autodesk near them, after what happened to Softimage.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not The Foundry making that decision though, it's Carlyle, the investment company that owns them.
  • KeithC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeithC polycounter lvl 7
    I'm staying away from this purchase until this all plays out. This is too much like the TrueSpace "debacle"....that was out of the blue too.
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    What happened to Truespace?
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Martin_H wrote: »
    What happened to Truespace?

Microsoft bought them (Caligari) then shut it down.
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. That explains why I stopped hearing about it. I remember that program from when I was fiddling around with 3D about 15 years ago and recently wondered what happened to it.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I've got 3 keys (a Bundle, Mari and Modo Indie) to give away and I'm thinking of running a flash competition a bit later on today.

I was thinking about an hour challenge to create something festive.

Anyone interested? Should I start a new thread for it?
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alonzo polycounter lvl 11
    I'm interessted in Modo, that's why I entered the "Rising Star" Challenge on the community forum, but there are way better entries then mine :( - but it was fun playing with modo (still have 8 days left from the trial)
  • Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    jgreasley wrote: »
    Hello,

I've got 3 keys (a Bundle, Mari and Modo Indie) to give away and I'm thinking of running a flash competition a bit later on today.

I was thinking about an hour challenge to create something festive.

Anyone interested? Should I start a new thread for it?

Any chance you could just give it away? Problem with flash competitions is that not everyone that should enter can. You gotta figure that the indie license would be most beneficial to students and stuff, but most students right now are either stressing over finals or busy working part time jobs. Also it probably takes them more than an hour to create anything that'll beat other people here.

And I'm totally not just saying that because that totally applies to me lol
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria wrote: »
    Any chance you could just give it away? Problem with flash competitions is that not everyone that should enter can. You gotta figure that the indie license would be most beneficial to students and stuff, but most students right now are either stressing over finals or busy working part time jobs. Also it probably takes them more than an hour to create anything that'll beat other people here.

And I'm totally not just saying that because that totally applies to me lol

Heh, trust me I'm not looking for visual quality. Ok. here's the deal.....

It's 6:30pm in London, post something in the next 3 (updated for those in Exam hell) hours to convince me that you should win.

Could be a MS Paint picture, a model, a handwritten sign, a poem, flattery, a great texture whatever....

Let me know if there is something you don't want to win... i.e. I've already got X, gimme Y.

On offer is....

* Indie Bundle (Mari and Modo Indie) worth $379.99
    * Mari Indie worth $199.99
    * Modo Indie worth $299.99

Go! Go! Go!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I have a final exam in half an hour, is it OK if I post a little bit later?
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a final exam in half an hour, is it OK if I post a little bit later?

I will accept exam doodles gladly. Upped the time to 3 hours. It's been a while since I did a final.
  • dmj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmj
    Does Mari indie still require 250gb HD space available like the full version of Mari? I didn't see any mention of HD requirements at all on the steam page.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmj wrote: »
    Does Mari indie still require 250gb HD space available like the full version of Mari? I didn't see any mention of HD requirements at all on the steam page.

250gb is for VFX size assets.

We recommend a much smaller amount for indie. 5GB or so should more than cover it.
  • freetime1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my ms paint drawing i made, i don't have any 3d modeling software right now.
    I would love to learn modo and make model those in modo and mari.

formodo.png

Sorry for my bad english :)
  • Chris Frechette
    I generally use procedurals for my surfacing, but would be interested in trying out Mari Indie if you are giving one away. Would be fun to go back and surface some old projects that I would have like to have spent more time on, like this elf.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    freetime1 wrote: »
    Here is my ms paint drawing i made, i don't have any 3d modeling software right now.
    I would love to learn modo and make model those in modo and mari.

formodo.png

Sorry for my bad english :)

Thanks for the entry !

So far, being the only entry, you're in the lead.

:)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Im working on it! No one is going to steal Mari from me uncontested! :)
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrancisR polycounter lvl 2
    I'm in!

3SVuH7S.png

This image being my entry of course!
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrancisR wrote: »
    I'm in!

3SVuH7S.png

Nice, and on topic. I take it you'd be interested in Modo. :)
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrancisR polycounter lvl 2
    Haha, yeah, I'm looking into learning a new modeling package over the next few weeks.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modomari.png

Thought I'd enter as well! I've had my eye on both Modo and Mari, but never pulled the trigger. These indie versions have me interested, and I have neither, so consider me interested in the package :)
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
    So - Just thought I would chime in on this -

I am learning MODO coming from a 3DS Max Background.

That said here are my experiences so far in the 3 Days I have been using it.

So I was an alright 3D modeler in MAX but with MODO (Trial Version) I feel like it was literally made for me the shear amount of customization that I can do is awesome.

I love MODO - With Max I had to rely on the modifier stack, custom plugins (MaxScript) and know what each and every modifier does which was a real pain for me at times because well I do not have the best of memory at times.

I also never understood maxscript... Python was more my thing. :)

That said - I have managed to break down my workflow into a series of steps depending on what is needed.

I have been using MODO 3 days and I am already making 3D objects that look a bit complex. Compared to the amount of time that it took me to learn the basics of max. A week or two...

My thoughts on MODO are -

Get it if you can.

It is slick UI wise and pretty much Idiot proof if you are coming from another 3D Package.
    When you start thinking though that is where the power of Modo starts to happen.

If you are just getting started - This is the perfect place to start.

Also lets not forget the foundry. The awesome folks over at the foundry have done an awesome job making Modo run fast (Starts up faster than MAX) and providing AAA+ Customer support to me even though I might not be making a purchase till next month. They are answering all my questions and their forums are super helpful. The folks over at the foundry have gone above and beyond the call of duty here with both their software and their Customer Support. :)

Also as a Side note -

I would Marry Modo if I could. But As far as I am aware I cannot marry Software.
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since I'm still very interested in the round edge shader baking workflow for hardsurface modelling, and people have said that I won't need more than 4k maps anyway, I'm gonna give this a shot. The Mari version would probably be better given to someone else since I just bought Substance Painter in the sale yesterday (couldn't resist at the low price). But Modo Indie would be sweet! Great idea with the quick competition. This was fun :).

modo-competition-2014.jpg

photocredit: http://imgur.com/au62n4O

Disclaimer: no cute puppies were harmed in the making of this picture.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    4_zps261bacef.jpg

2_zps2ff7b5c6.jpg

3_zpsfe231739.jpg

1_zps989829af.jpg

I would love a copy of Mari (surprise! :D )
    I bought the full MODO a couple months back, so it is just MARI I am interested in.
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo? Modo, Modo all the way... Please :)

modo_flash_contest_entry.jpg
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really great entires so far. One hour-ish to go.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is kinda where I am at the moment, I really want to get a away from 3D studio max and everything that is autodesk :(

And I really wish and hope Modo could be my way to salvation :)

(I only want the standalone Modo Lisence, please give the bundle and the Mari lisence to some other awesome polycounter in need).

x6MnUL6.png
  • xvampire
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I once knew a programmer Jack,
    who was thinking of givening back.
    He gave Mari to me,
    and gave Modo for free,
    so that I could pay back Freddie Mac.

We're not allowed to take parts of the exam with us and there was no scratch paper around that I could've taken o I wrote you a limerick instead. :) Student loans are on the mind now that I'm finally getting my B.S.C.S.

BTW I wrote a metallic version of the BRDF shader with the demo version of full Mari. Check it out! It even supports a secondary specular input just like UE4's.

k1xKFhX.png

(I did this before you posted the contest, of course. I'm not *that* good at shader programming.)

Just to show you that I'm not some schmo who can't texture anything, here's a horizontally tiling photosourced wall texture that I've been working up for the past few days. This is just a plane with a texture, nothing fancy.

7c9awHo.jpg

I'd be interested in Mari, Modo, or both. :)
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    The feeble MODO that loads into RAM in the morning
    chamfering out the edge problems
    Sub-Dividing gracefully away.

lol
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Time's up, right? :O
    Ohh, this is so exciting!!! :)
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ding ding ding, time's up!

Great work on the entries.

Some really fun and funny stuff. Sorry not everyone could win.

The results are .....

Indie Bundle - MightyPea
    Mari Indie - Spoon. :) This made my day.
    Modo Indie - alonzo

Special Mention - JedTheKrampus. Great work on the shader! Drop me an email at greasley@thefoundry.co.uk and I'll look at helping you out with a developer license of full Mari so you can carry on the great work. Checkout mari.idealscale.com . I know that the folks there would love to hear from you.

PM Me and I'll send over the keys.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    congratz fellow polycounters!
    post something awesome you make with your lisence in this thread!
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
    jgreasley wrote: »
    Ding ding ding, time's up!

Great work on the entries.

Some really fun and funny stuff. Sorry not everyone could win.

The results are .....

Indie Bundle - MightyPea
    Mari Indie - Spoon. :) This made my day.
    Modo Indie - alonzo

Special Mention - JedTheKrampus. Great work on the shader! Drop me an email at greasley@thefoundry.co.uk and I'll look at helping you out with a developer license of full Mari so you can carry on the great work. Checkout mari.idealscale.com . I know that the folks there would love to hear from you.

PM Me and I'll send over the keys.

Awww... looks like I was too late :(

Anyway for the sake of fun here is or was my submission :P

cX18uLv.png

Credit for the original Image goes to to the people over on reddit at r/pcmasterrace.

Also congrats fellow polycounters :)
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, I'm so happy - I had to go for a walk with my dog.

Thanks to Jack Greasley and The Foundry for choosing my entry.

I'm still speachless and don't know what to write, there where really awesome entries. Contrats to everyone who won.

Stay creative :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, Jack!

Really good entries, some very funny ones :)

Grats, MightyPea and Alonzo :)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Email sent :) Thank you!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Email sent :) Thank you!

Congrats Jed. Well deserved!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    It's great to see a new Modo release on Steam and thanks a bunch for giving Modo SE users a free upgrade :)

Sorry if this is a wrong place for this noob question: I want the view to orbit around my last brush stroke while sculpting(like when the Local Transformations button in ZBrush is active), where's the setting for that? ...and same thing for Element Move tool. I want the view to orbit around the last tweaked area instead of the whole object.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but if you're going to bite the bullet and buy - do it now. %25 off sale ends in 16 hours.
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to all the winners and thanks a lot Jack for this nice surprise-contest!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo! This is an unexpected result, I was very impressed with the other entries.

Now to phone in to work and tell them I've contracted Ebola...
  • TomaszCzajka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomaszCzajka polycounter lvl 3
    Hi folks!
    I thought you might help me since I'm really confused. I'm a 3DS max user since pre-studies, but I'm looking for alterntive software for enviro modelling. I'd like to sell models at Unity or Unreal asset store, but autodesk's software is way to expensive for me. What would you recommend me?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi folks!
    I thought you might help me since I'm really confused. I'm a 3DS max user since pre-studies, but I'm looking for alterntive software for enviro modelling. I'd like to sell models at Unity or Unreal asset store, but autodesk's software is way to expensive for me. What would you recommend me?

MODO.

Get the trial and win in life!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Well, I've already encountered a big problem.
    I created a model in ZBrush, then imported it to Modo for retopology. Problem is, despite both the highpoly and new lowpoly being the same size in Modo, the exported lowpoly in Modo is vastly larger.
    I cannot then export the highpoly from Modo so they're the same size, because the highpoly is over 100k triangles.
    Which basically means that maps have to be baked inside Modo.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Well, I've already encountered a big problem.
    I created a model in ZBrush, then imported it to Modo for retopology. Problem is, despite both the highpoly and new lowpoly being the same size in Modo, the exported lowpoly in Modo is vastly larger.
    I cannot then export the highpoly from Modo so they're the same size, because the highpoly is over 100k triangles.
    Which basically means that maps have to be baked inside Modo.

You can change the scale inside of Modo from a drop down menu. That should line it up. This is a common question with new modo users who import zbrush models then export.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

We've extended the 25% off sale into the Steam winter sale!

So more time to get Mari and Modo Indie at a discount!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Dataday wrote: »
    You can change the scale inside of Modo from a drop down menu. That should line it up. This is a common question with new modo users who import zbrush models then export.
    Yeah, but it'd take a hell of a lot of guesswork to figure out the 100% exact scale difference. Unless someone already knows.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably .001, .01, .1, 10, 100, or 1000 if I had to guess. Try those out.