Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: IOR map

hugojackson18
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
hugojackson18 polycounter lvl 3
Guys, I outputed an IOR map from DDO, and obviously it's giving me a map from 0 to 1, with values around 0.1 and 0.4. Does anyone know how to interpret this map? Arnold shaders reads an IOR like 1.0, 1.33, 1.4, 2.2, like proper refraction index. How can I map this map to my shader? Is it like a Fresnel value? Percentage of reflection at glazing angle?

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IOR is an underdeveloped part of the tool right now, the map is there for the user to set custom values for now if needed. More support coming soon!
  • hugojackson18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, I'll be waiting for it! I think it would be nice if it exported a map with values above 1. Like a 32bit exr or tiff. Or maybe a map with values from 0 to 1, with an IOR of 1=0.1, that we could then multiply in Nuke or something to get proper IOR values back from it. I don't know, just an idea like this!
  • hugojackson18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And what about the Anisotropy map? It's giving me BLACK = No Anisotropy, when it should be 0.5 I think. It would be nice in the wiki to have a section where all the outputed maps are explained and how to use them. Would be really useful!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the more uncommon output map values have been left for the artist to specify explicitly since their implementation varies so much between rendering engines -- however, as soon as you enter an anisotropic value and save out a smart material or a project preset, that value will always be remembered when loading these new presets