Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

Ahri

Jianwen
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Jianwen polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys, I recently started the Riot art contest. Let me show you what I've been working on. You'll have to excuse me because I work primarily on portraits in oil paint so I don't have the most clear and displayable workflow yet. I tend to start on one area and design/render outward as I go along.

Progress:12/198/14 Status "No Sleep but I'm Done"

Final thoughts: This picture turned out at least as I had hoped, and had transformed along the way into something I didn't quite expect as the details started piling in. It was my goal to make a very classical type illustration, and I think it turned out alright! Here's a look into Ahri's dark past, succumbing to her pangs of hunger for humanity.
Ahri.jpg

Okay, so I chose to go with a picture of Ahri after making some brief sketches while in Starbucks. It's quite messy so I outlined the main objects. My main inspirations for this piece are classical paintings, specifically: Adolf Hir

Replies

• Jianwen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, new update. The canvas was extended to make it wider so I can prepare for the final composition. I worked on Ahri a bit to make the light softer, and finally got her bangs the way I like it. I kept changing it haha. I started putting indications of what I want the figures to be doing and how I want the light to work and of course I need to take reference pictures next when it comes to painting them. I'm staying very conscious of how the light is dispersed over the image, trying to contain most of the highlights in the center. I don't think I'll actually use this many people but who knows. I also got rid of her leg cuz I can't make it look right.

Oh, and does anyone know why the colors are stronger and more contrasty when I save it as a jpg? I find it weird since the image I'm working on looks quite different than the one being output.

ahriprogresswide.jpg

Stay tuned!
  • Jianwen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, I added the highlights to Ahri and cooled down the skin with neutral/grayish greens in the shadows. I wanted to keep her skin very light even in the shadows so it kind of glows. She's starting to look as sexy as intended:poly136:. I took my reference pictures and placed the figures I wanted in the image and immediately started painting some of them. I also rendered some of the ground, which will be twiggish viney things. I'm also thinking of some of the background which might be swooping trees, since the composition is very circular. I also nudged Ahri a tad to the right side. I'm almost done with Ahri herself, and I will post a higher res image of her character when I finish her.
    ahriprogressnext.jpg
    ps. I wonder if anyone is even reading these.
    And I found out that it was just my image hosting sight that was changing the colors and contrast, not saving the image as a jpg itself.
  • Jianwen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a few days since I last posted, here's a shot of what I've done along side some of the reference. It's pretty embarrassing cuz I'm mostly naked in them so yea....Also a little sad because I have more reference for the side characters than the main character. Basically I painted more of the guys in and did some minor refining on Ahri. I learned about that flip horizontal trick and I realized that the picture I was making was horribly off balance, so I extended the canvas on one side and reduced the other, rendering Ahri back in the middle. I still have to make adjustments to the composition and positioning of the people, finish the dood in the top left, probably put another dood in the top right, refining of the bg, and the details. Joy!

I think I'll start updating the initial post with current progress so more people might be interested in seeing it.
    ahriisamaleprogress.jpg
  • Jianwen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I just drew for 20 hours straight. Anyway, woohoo for no work today. 20 more hours of details and refining.magpies.jpg
    I put magpies in my picture.
    Ahri-Portrait.jpg
    Portrait crop of my Ahri.
    Ahri.jpg
    And wala, the finish product!