Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: xNormal vs Zbrush maps

All the tutorials on DDO i have seen recommends using xNormal for map generation. Zbrush can generate both OS and tangent space normals of good quality and also AO map through multi map exporter. Any reason not to use Zbrush generated maps? Zbrush is faster and it would be great not having to use yet another App. Is the xNormal generated maps considered higher quality?

Replies

• Teyon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    I think a lot of folks find the quality a little better from XNormal but honestly, it's whatever works best for your workflow and the level of quality you're looking to achieve. I have XNormal, I do use it sometimes in my day gig but I'm just as fine with the maps out of ZBrush for work.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully the Baking tool that soon will be released will solve your dilemma :)
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    Looking forward to the baking tool :-)

NDO can convert normal to AO and a bunch over other maps i noticed. Would that work well?

For Normal maps that has been edited in NDO what is the best way to generate maps for DDO? The NDO´s own built in map converter?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "For Normal maps that has been edited in NDO what is the best way to generate maps for DDO? The NDO´s own built in map converter?"

The AO that NDO generates is recomended, but the rest of the maps DDO will take care of!

Just realized that I might have given the wrong idea, the new baking tool will not generate Tangent space normal, just so there is no confusion and I won´t get hate mail after the release!