Home Dota 2

What makes a great texture artist?

Hello everyone,
this thread is born from the fact that I see many people with amazing painting skills post their concepts here, but do not want to do textures themselves.

Now, I tried texturing a bit, following the Dota2 Texturing guide and reading tutorials, but this fact made me wonder if this is how all of you even do it.
Is there some exta secret to it? Do I need extra fancy programs beside Photoshop? Should texture artist be able to sculpt 3D as well?

I would love to get into more texturing so I would love to hear from you.
What skills does a good texture artist need?

(on a sidenote: anyone got some UVmaps lying around where I could practise? ;) )

Replies

• MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, my best guess is people are mixing 3d sculpt bakes with some of hand painting to fix edges, add some effects to the texture, you can combine photo textures with the starting one, etc.

There is no some super secret to it, it's just that you have to be sure how you want it to go and where to apply what for it to come out alright. Some people are so mighty good with zbrush, they don't even have to resort to hand painting and just use bakes that they got from hi-poly mesh. In my own case, I found out that adding some hand painted effect to the texture is quite fun and it can give some really nice looking textures on top of the 3d sculpt bakes as well.

In the end, everything comes down to what's most comfortable to you.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    well dno if u consider me as good enough, but as reference i mostly post also the texturework to each project in my thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138754

my personal pipeline is using AO and OBJECT SPACE NORMAL as bakes.
    in photoshop: ao is the bottom layer and on top of that i add the green channel of the osn for light top->bottom information. i set that layer on 50% transparency. on top of that i add the different color layers with mode multiply, hard light or even normal if i wana override something completly - in those color layers i simply draw. i think this is a very easy way to produce clean textures. after all its all about how much time and love u put into it.

example

GBJZ9TO.gif

eq17ZXY.jpg

TestyGreenBinturong.gif