Home Marmoset

noob question?

In the mesh properties panel under tangent space, I get 4 options
marmoset
Xnormal
maya
3DS max

Does this mean if I bake out my maps in an app like 3D Coat that they won't work?

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    No. It means the selected mesh will use the tangent basis that the named app bakes in. xNormal for example uses MikkTspace tangent basis for its TS normal maps, which basically uses different maths than other tangent basis's, so if you bake in MikkTspace you want your mesh in marmoset to be using the xNormal setting for 1:1 results. Other settings with have slight differences in how the results are calculated. Some things like 3ds max also use a different Y swizzle which will cause more obviously different (wrong) results if you feed it the wrong info.

This is mostly important when you're baking an object that has lots of gradients in the TS map. For more info see this sticky in tech talk
  • wingnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK thanks, excellent video.
  • cartermrobbinson
    Also answered my question. Thanks.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Critique about future posts, try to add a clear subject name that's ambiguous like "noob question." It'll help people reach your thread quicker since they'll generally know what they're going to look at, because "noob question" could mean anything.

Game developers keep railing on communication as something that needs improvement in what we do. It's little practices like these that allow us to overcome that as an industry.