Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: new-ish dDo user - question on multi masking for paint?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
anthonymcgrath polycounter lvl 3
hi guys i'm fairly new to dDo - i purchased the suite on black friday (fantastic offer thankyou!) and i'm absolutely LOVING your software although i'm still getting to grips with it. there's still a few bugs but i'm sure your aware of them and tbh i've found just letting dDo take its time instead of mashing buttons pays dividends :)

anyway i'm trying to setup a paint material on a model... i want the paint to reveal a metal underneath. So i create a new layer.. put metal on it and thats my base material. I then create a 2nd layer and make that the preset of red paint.

now my difficulty comes in adding masks layer by layer to 'add' damage. I add a mask to my red paint.. use a weathered edges and sure enough i get my steel material come through - it looks great!

now i want to add a level2 layer of 'damage'... effectively removing more paint. How can i do this?

My current method is to group up the red paint material (which is masked) and add a mask to that group... this gives me a second layer of 'damage'.. over the top of my original edge scratches... but how do i de-activate this level2 damage? i cant seem to turn it off or mute it... and just have my level 1 damage of weathered edges?

hope that makes sense!
thanks
ant

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi anthonymcgrath! Great to hear that your are likeing the software!

I think i understand what you are trying to achive here, there are a few ways to do it.
    One way is actually the way you have done, to group the layer and add a second mask to the group, I must admit I do this sometimes as well, although I kinda feel like I´m cheating :D

Im sure you´ve seen that you can actually apply two textures in each mask, that usually will be enough in most cases. Sometims I also do the other way around, put the pant at the bottom, and then i add layers of metal on top of it, the cool thing about DDO is that this is fully possible, you can just add a bumpmap and make sure the metal is "beneth" the paint, so i would say that is the best method if you want better control!

Let me know if you have more questions and Welcome to team Quixel!
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well to add i found one way to do it is to play with the amount of texture influence in my mask for my primary and secondary textures... setting them from 100 to 0 and then the brightness in post processing really drops down the effect but its a good few sliders to remember... a simple right click on mask and 'mute' button (effectively making it like theres no extra mask there) would be a really cool feature? :)
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi anthonymcgrath! Great to hear that your are likeing the software!

I think i understand what you are trying to achive here, there are a few ways to do it.
    One way is actually the way you have done, to group the layer and add a second mask to the group, I must admit I do this sometimes as well, although I kinda feel like I´m cheating :D

Im sure you´ve seen that you can actually apply two textures in each mask, that usually will be enough in most cases. Sometims I also do the other way around, put the pant at the bottom, and then i add layers of metal on top of it, the cool thing about DDO is that this is fully possible, you can just add a bumpmap and make sure the metal is "beneth" the paint, so i would say that is the best method if you want better control!

Let me know if you have more questions and Welcome to team Quixel!

wow super fast response thanks :D

ahhhh you know what that metal 'on top' of paint was something i was literally thinking hehehe - i'll have a play with that! i've found that setting my primary texture value from 100 to 0 really seems to drop the effect so thats quite usable

thing is later on i want to be able to add layers of oil and concrete dust on top too - i'm shooting for three levels so hopefully this same method should work ?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its will indeed work! I´ve used it many times before! :) If you have object space normal and gradient maps plugged in you can do some really neat stuff with the dust and dirt!
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excellent... well i seem to have found a fairly nice and simple way like you say with primary and secondary masking on a group...

basic paint layer with a maks applied to get roughened edges... level01
    bust_ddo01.JPG

i then grouped the layer+mask above and applied a mask to this group... this is my primary mask for this group...
    bust_ddo02.JPG

then switching on the secondary mask i was able to add even more damage...
    bust_ddo03.JPG
    and like i say i can tweak and adjust (these are super quick values added to demonstrate) and keep my 3 levels :)

ta
    ant
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Is this the Giant Iron man from the new avengers?? :O
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Is this the Giant Iron man from the new avengers?? :O

its my version of it yeah - i've been doing mostly animation with this and another character, so haven't had time to texture it up so i'm trying to do that now and learn some cool software in the process :)
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not wanting to turn this into a blog page or owt but just love the way i can paint in a custom mask for the effect!

second layer of damage using objspc map - seems to be in strange areas...
    custom_mask_before.JPG

with custom mask painted in...
    custom_mask_after.JPG

i'm already getting incredible results that would have taken me as a relative noob at texturing days to do in pshop! I haven't even added in other layers yet like grime and dirt and dust and concrete and i'm loving the results!!!

(ps seen your doing the GPU baker too - amazing!!!!)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome to hear you like it :) It looks really nice already!