Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hi! need some help

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Anitlunia polycounter lvl 6
So I'm new in this on 3D. So I'm making an environment for a game in UE4. I'm modelling first a train in the inside but I need some help:
  • How can I make round courners with inset with an inside edge?
  • Hoy do I texturize this for a good ingame looking?
  • Hoy many amount of polys do you recommend me for this?

These are the windows of the train
u0dCCsv.png

Problem here:

UjeJdAm.png

Desired effect:
aNZfvJb.jpg

I've search the internet with no clear answers, someone can help me? :)

The polys are now in 283 in one side and the other side is symmetrical so it would be 566 polys without adding the roof the seats and other detailed things.
Skeleton for proportions uIPla4P.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The texturing question is it's own cat in the bag. We'll get to that later.

Look for something that Bevels, or something similar to that in Max. That should give you the divisions while also giving you rounded corners.

Polycount is up to you. The honest question yo need to ask yourself is "How is a player character going to see what I am building?" First person? Third Person? This should determine how many polys you add here or there. What are the focal points? What's more important? If you can answer those questions with a rough fidelity guess, than you've done your job as a game artist, and not just someone who's making pretty things.
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anitlunia polycounter lvl 6
    Okey thank you for your advices, I should get texturing later haha. Another question, do you recommend me model and animate in Maya for UE4? Or should I stick to 3ds max? Give me opinions please (sorry if I'm sooo new on these things ^^)