Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for ways to improve.

Hello all, I recently came across Ulricks Dungeon environment on these forums (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107729), was heavily inspired and decided to have a go at my own but to combine it with more work I had been inspired by such as Brandon Orden's Cottage Interior (again on these forums). I wanted each tier to be a little bigger than Ulrick made and contain a little more. Currently I'm stuck as to what to do with the floor. I did want broken floor boards on a dirty basement floor but I'm really struggling with working out the best way to go about it. The rooms idea was that this forbidden magic scroll had been locked away down there.

CandC more than welcome on all aspects ...modeling/textures/layout etc...

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Do you have a concept you're working from or a reference/mood board? I'd keep it simple if you're having trouble figuring out how to tackle the floor.

I like to start off by making a clean environment and then adding a layer of dirt and breaking the models after I've figured out where all the shapes are supposed to go.
  • Different_Directions
    I do and ill scan them in asap and get them up here. Could you expand a little please on your quick summary of your workflow?

Thanks for responding..
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    • Block out the proportions of objects in the concept art with cubes and cylinders to figure out the scale and basic shot composition. Mostly focusing on the objects that are architectural elements and props half the player height or larger.

• Refine block out props to resemble the end silhouette. Try to make any of the architectural elements to be modular if possible for ease of re-use(probably won't apply for this).

• Sculpt or use height maps to create details, or both. What ever.

• Make "final" low poly models and UVs, and bake assets.

• Composite generated maps and add images or hand paint albedo/diffuse/spec/normal etc.... as if it was factory fresh. IE minimal wear and tear, basic color and material separation.

Hopefully that makes sense.