Home Technical Talk

ZBrush decimation artifacts (also, hi-to-low workflow w/o normal map?)

kinggambitben
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
Hi newbie here. First time trying to get Zbrush to low poly for game (WITHOUT baking normal i.e. for a mobile game).

I keep getting hole artifacts though if I get the poly count to a viable number (My topology seems fine beforehand):

JkGQLgC.jpg
MvW858q.jpg

I think it might be my overall workflow (varying densities in mesh). I've tried using projection but it creates an awful cage mesh.

All the tutorials never had this issue. If someone could help a newbie out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• aaronpaulina
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronpaulina polycounter lvl 6
    Have you tried using ZRemesher first?
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    You're trying to get it too low, so decimation master is having issues retaining your forms.
    To be honest this is not a good way to get a low poly mesh for a game. Z-remesher can work, but you still need to clean it up and make sure you have your UVs set up correctly with hard and soft edges where they're needed.

Parts of your mesh look like they're already low enough, are the higher density ones different subtools? I'd split them off, duplicated, and z-remesh. Then project and see if you can use lvl 0 as a starting point.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Hi newbie here. First time trying to get Zbrush to low poly for game (WITHOUT baking normal i.e. for a mobile game).

I keep getting hole artifacts though if I get the poly count to a viable number (My topology seems fine beforehand):

JkGQLgC.jpg
    MvW858q.jpg

I think it might be my overall workflow (varying densities in mesh). I've tried using projection but it creates an awful cage mesh.

All the tutorials never had this issue. If someone could help a newbie out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

use zremesher, turn off adapt
    you want to combine elemets in zbrush , try merge all subtool, and turn that into dynamesh, the mesh should be combined no hole for good, then you can start z-remesher from that.

OR even better, since you mention for mobile,
    try to do it manually. you can remove unnecessary geometry elements.

why not baking normal? it will help your texturing. :) ., you dont need to add normal map but normal information will safe your time since you already have hi poly