Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dwarf Pub Environment Scene

*This is my first attempt at an Environment Scene*

For my project I wanted to focus in on the Warhammer universe and in particular the Dwarf world.

Looking into the Dwarf world I was able to see that a running cultural theme of drinking and pubs in the Dwarf world.

The theme of drinking and dwarves runs into real-life also with Bugmans pub in Nottingham.

This influenced the project direction by having the setting of an outdoor environment on a small island retreat or rest point with a bar on the centre-point of the island with a small pier being the access point to the island accompanied by causeway stones.

Taking inspiration from my home in Ireland, it’ll be set the environment in a coastal setting similar to that of the causeway coast of Co.Aontroim. The Giants Causeway is a popular attraction due to it’s history and myth and proves plenty of reference for the hexagonal and shaped stones that create the causeway and also the surrounding glen cliffs.

Giants-Causeway.jpg

Giants-Causeway-Northern--006.jpg

Doing research into what type of pub I would like to make I stumbled upon these examples of a dwarf pub featured in the Warhammer Online. It allows for modularity and tileable textures to make up the structure of the building with the available option of breaking up the silhouette of the building with modular assets for decoration both on the building and surrounding it.
The example shows that the walls are decorated with small tankards, signs, shields and weapons etc.

332nhih.jpg

RedhammerBrewery2.jpg

14nply.jpg

To put a change to the look of this example pub l looked up entrances to Dwarf building and “Easter Island”-esc Dwarf head monuments to act as an archway or accompanied entrance way to the pub when coming off the pier. However the idea of having the Dwarf monument head acting as the doorway to pub. The examples below are two monument pieces/entrances that caught how the entrance of the pub could look and give it a grander look.

m2120201a_Blog051211_5.jpg

tor.jpg

For texturing I looked, the workflow method that is used in the industry is a workflow used by the artist Fanny Vergne from France who worked on the Dungeon textures in the expansion to World of Warcraft, Siege of Orgrimmar.

This workflow uses almost exclusively sculpting and 3d work done and completed within Zbrush with work in photoshop at the latter stages of the workflow to compile and complete the texture.

Replies

• pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The task was to create the pieces needed to create building blocks of the environment building.

The first task was to see how the building was modular and I did a study into which pieces of the building could be modular.

I did a paintover over the walls pieces in particular that are modular in the scene concept.
    Cerveceriacutea_Enana_Imagen_paintover_zps65738fb5.png

I then looked at the asset list that I'd made up-
    Causeway stones
    Fences
    Pub Walls
    Dwarfhead Entrance
    Signs
    Tankards
    Bannerpost
    Pier
    Brewery Bowl and Pipes
    Barrels
    Boxes

The plan was to create the Fences, Signs and Piers from separate modular wooden planks to help with memory and use the decal texturing method to differentiate the assets later.

The same goes for some of the pub walls were the stand out difference of each wall is build and then generic modular bricks then applied to build the walls later and give the chance for the walls to be broken up and played about with as shown in the Modular brick wall thread on Polycount by 'glynnsmith'.

The stones were made through reference of MystiqueX's pieces on the Sketchbook on Polycount and other examples from Philip K. Shown how the Trim Dynamic and Flatten brushes for example and also the Mallet brushes are used to beat the edges and create the hard edged damaged surfaces that are found on stone.

The Doors creation to the building is going to be done through nDO

Reference:

glynnsmith. (2010). Modular Brick Wall tiling questions. Available: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1101338#post1101338. Last accessed 11 Nov' 2014.

MystiqueX. (2014). SketchBook. Available: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75950&page=2. Last accessed 11 Nov' 2014.

Philip Kay. (2010). Old Tiles Wall Tutorial. Available: http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/tilesold/tilesold.html. Last accessed 11 Nov' 2014.

I'll be honest and say I struggled massively on this, and work in general recently.
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High Poly Asset Renders (Done quickly with Best render in ZBrush)

Barrel:

barrel_zpsa1d8e4ee.png

BannerPost:
    Banner_zpsb322bac3.png

Wooden Boxes
    box_zps8c6f55aa.png
    box2_zps16633a86.png

BreweyBowl
    brewerybowl_zps8482e22b.png

Causeway Stones
    causeway_stones_zps067d5874.png

Pillar Brick sculpts
    pillar_zpsee777a77.png
    pillar2_zps2704eaac.png

Top Wall Piece:
    topwallpiece_zpseb4d1009.png

CornerWall Example with generic brick sculpts:
    cornerwall_zps9b4da431.png

Long Wall, Bottom Piece (Generic Bricks used later to complete wall):
    longwallbottom_zps2d59b831.png

Wall Centre Decoration blocks:
    walldecopieces_zps6a6df6ce.png

Wooden Planks:
    planks_zps882ebbda.png
    planks2_zpsaf428b62.png

Roof Tiles:

Setup:
    tiles_setup_zps8db6a2c4.png

Tile Attempt:
    tiles_tileattempt_zps47d2f607.png
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tile Sculpt:
    tiles_detail_zps6eef8132.png

TO BE USED TILEABLE TEXTURE LATER

Dwarf head Entrance
    dwarfheadfront_zps665860e6.png
    dwarfheadangle_zps8635bab2.png
    dwarfheadback_zps8fcc578d.png

Tankard:
    tankard_zps06e37b15.png
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Nice sculpting, only thing which bothers me is the wooden box.
    The "exterior" wood planks look like one piece.
    I think if you already sculpt in this level of details you should also scultp the different wooden planks at the edges
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Judging from the shapes used in the barrel above it, I think the outside support beams of the crate is probably supposed to be metal.
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling would you be able to show me an example? I understand what you're saying just having a bit of trouble visualizing it.
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick, yeah it's supposed to be metal.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    If you check this crate (not made by me^^):
    http://oliviersayer.com//ImgForums/WoodCrate-v2.jpg
    You can see the differend planks the frame is made of.

Even if the frame is made of metal, there should be some seperation/welding lines.
    Try to think "How did the made this crate?" "How does it open up?"

At the moment it looks like this crate can not be opened at all.