Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: DDO: Extremely slow material browser

When opening the material browser by any means, it takes between 30 seconds and 2 minutes for the browser to appear depending on the number of material presets being loaded. SUITE.exe is hogging one cpu core to 100% during this whole period. This behaviour persist between two different versions of Photoshop. On my school computer (with vastly inferior hardware) this same process takes about 3 seconds.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

General specs:
Windows 7
i7 3770k
32gb ram
nvidia gtx 980

Photoshop:
CS6
CC

Quixel:

The photoshop scratch drive is set to D: where it has lots of space.
The quixel shared directory is also set to D:
Quixel is installed on D:
Both photoshop versions installed on C:

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Sounds very strange indeed! Have you ever had Quixel installed on C?
    Are the PS versions English? Is D: a network drive of any sorts? Are there any non-alphanumerical characters in the path for the suite?

Sorry many questions :)
  • Dirigenten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Sounds very strange indeed! Have you ever had Quixel installed on C?
    Are the PS versions English? Is D: a network drive of any sorts? Are there any non-alphanumerical characters in the path for the suite?

Sorry many questions :)

Yes, I believe Quixel has been installed on C at some point. Are there any folders, files or registry keys that are not removed during the uninstallation that can interfere?

D: is a not a network drive. It's a standard HDD where most programs and games are installed, C: is a system SSD.

There are no non-alphanumerical characters unless if space counts.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be no registry files that interferes. this is so very strange, honestly we have never heard of this before, so you are unique in that sense, its something... right?

No but seriously, Im thinking if it has something to do with SSD, we´ve been getting some strange reports regarding SSD, but we are not sure that is the cause yet. Is the suite currently installed on a SSD drive, is installed on a SSD drive on the laptop where it works?
  • Dirigenten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be no registry files that interferes. this is so very strange, honestly we have never heard of this before, so you are unique in that sense, its something... right?

No but seriously, Im thinking if it has something to do with SSD, we´ve been getting some strange reports regarding SSD, but we are not sure that is the cause yet. Is the suite currently installed on a SSD drive, is installed on a SSD drive on the laptop where it works?

I knew my mother was right! I am unique!
    Anyway, in desperation I formatted the computer and will see if that helps.
    The suit had been installed on C: (the ssd), then uninstalled and later reinstalled on D: (normal hdd). The problem was present in both configurations though. I'll see if I get different behavior installing it on D: from the start.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always listen to your mother :)

Sorry you had to format, but please let me know how it turns out!
  • Dirigenten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always listen to your mother :)

Sorry you had to format, but please let me know how it turns out!

It works! :D
    PS CS6 installed on C: and Quixel on D:

The load time is now just a few seconds. Thank you for your support!
  • Eric Ramberg