Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: NDO - Add/mix normal map details

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
lordsme polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone, I'm quite new to NDO, I can't find the correct workflow for a simple problem, here it is.

While doing a personal library of normal map details/decals to add on more complicated baked normal maps, I baked a hipoly bolt to a simple lowpoly plane using xNormal. I got a simple good tangent space normal map that applied to the plane works fine.

How can I use this kind of normal map details in a NDO project? I tried with different workflows but still can't figure the proper way to do it. I also tried using a baked heightmap, but the results are not very good.

Replies

• Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Interested in the answer to that too.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    You can just place them above "channel mixer" layer if your normal layer have a mask to add detail. To mix normals just use NDO option -> Mix -> Overlay normal.

By the way Teddy, I think its a good idea to change "nDo2" to "ndo" in "Mix" menu just for avoid the inconvenience in user experience.
  • lordsme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can just place them above "channel mixer" layer if your normal layer have a mask to add detail.

Ok, and then manually set their blend mode to Overlay, right?
    What about normalization? I suppose I have to do it as a separate step after the export/save as...

Moreover, do NDO normal maps need normalization? (I suppose they do, since after applying the xNormal normalization filter in photoshop the color values change)
    Isn't there any "export" function that handles all this?
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I'm not sure that I understand your question right. But will try to explain.

If you need to place your detail on underlaid normal details and don't want to mix it with them like pic.1 You need to place your details before a "NORMAL" ndo folder with "normal blend mode". Or if you need just take each layer and drop down under channel layer in ndo NORMAL folder and apply to them separately Mix -> Normal to nDo2 Normal.

If you want to mix your details you need to apply to each layer separately Mix -> Overlay Normal like on pic.2. (Tip: You can make an action to that layer style apply and bind it on hotkey and you dont need to go in NDO options every time)

Dont use default Overlay blend mode it's basically destroys blue channel.

vJ7tyi6.png

The Layers Layout variants is respective to numbers above.
    f7tFSUy.png
    Normalization, well as far as i see ndo cant normalize perfectly. But i dont use normal map baked on fully smooth model (like mudbox love to bake) instead i use hard edges/smoothing groups and getting less noticeable gradients on flat surface and i dont have to normalize normal map if I add some details on it. But if you use mixed details on gradient you more likely need to normalize (Like on pic.2).
    I may be wrong. And sorry if I dont get your point and wrote a captain obvious post =)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis thank you so much for taking the time to write this post! Im not that great at NDO myself so sadly I cant tell if its correct, lordsme is this what you asked for?
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're welcome. Hope its helpful for all.
  • lordsme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Avis for the explanation! I got it, NDO Overlay normal was the answer I was looking for!!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis you the man/woman!!