Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: rough ETA on 1.9?

akaChris
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
akaChris polycounter lvl 6
normally I wouldn't bother asking about release dates and accept the policy of `when it's done` without flinching but given the problems existing with all recent versions that can turn into showstopper bugs it would be great if we could get an idea of a time-frame for 1.9, so we can schedule our work better.

It would be already helpful if it was just an estimate like: Dec, Jan, Q1 or anything of that order of magnitude.

Replies

• ken0y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ken0y polycounter lvl 7
    I agree, something has to be done regarding these "showstopper" issues, and it should be done sooner rather than later. As it is, the suite is not usable. Sure, one can argue that it is possible to hack and slash your way through a session and salvage it, but is that what I'm paying for?

Regards,

K
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    philwinkel polycounter lvl 4
    even at 50% off for black friday, selling quixel suite in it's current state is a highway robbery. It shouldn't even be for sale right now.
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quixel response on Facebook: After xmas we should have the final 1.9 out, but we will likely do a preview release before that. The bakers might just be released in advance too.

a preview version sounds good. personally I would prefer a new version earlier with the most crucial bugs fixed but with zero new features and wouldn't mind the version featuring new stuff to be delayed even further.

not being able to export my assets for another couple of weeks is going to be difficult to compensate for to be honest. the promise of 1.9 sounds great but everyday work requirements can be harsh. I still think in it's current state it should have remained labeled as a beta product to make it clear that it's not ready to be used in production.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    The fact that new features are not coming in is not slowing down the bug fixing, also all new fixes need to be tested so that they don´t create new problems. i understand it is frustrating when something is not working correctly. But let me try to help you!

ken0y - What is it for you that makes the suite unusable?

akaChris, may i ask what problems you are having with export?

chiniara - What poblems ara you having?

As Aka chris says, we will try to get a 1.9 preview out as soon as possible!
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the problem is not export, it's that the pipeline is broken except for working with single assets. the entire id matching functionality via presets doesn't work as reported and confirmed a few days ago (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144471). this has been broken the whole time since official release going back to 1.6 as was stated by me and others before me.

Having such vital parts of the program not working for such a long time is just a bit difficult to understand from the outside perspective.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akaChris - Thanks for the link i remember now!(I´m probably legaly senile at this point) Its a very vital part yes I agree, and again, Im sorry that this is causing you problems. We´re working hard on fixing this and we hope to get a preview of the 1.9 up as fast as possible. I don´t think this has been broken since 1.6, Some might have had problems with it but that is very possibile, but we don´t ignore bugs and issues between releases I can promise you that! :) We´re really trying to fix all known bugs for every release but sometimes those suckers are so damn slippery and we fail to reproduce them and the precist, I suspect this is the case for this one!
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a bug tracker would be great. even if it's just a semi-manually managed thing on something like trello
  • ken0y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ken0y polycounter lvl 7
    Eric, I explained in my other post about the 2 bugs I have encountered so far. When I save a project and re-open it, the masks associated with materials in the project window do not display and when I left click on the mask channel it crashes the suite.

There is also the bug that you are already aware of, the one associated with having the colour picker open and force refreshing 3DO crashing the suite.

As I said before, If I am doing something wrong then I'll hold my hands up and apologise.

K
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keny0 - no its me who should hold my hand up and aploligize for being so forgetful! Yes of course I know now what you are talking about, the color picker thing is a bug that has been reproduced and should be killed! The other bug however seems more random, do you still get it every time? I´ve only encountered it once myself.