Home General Discussion

Any Other "Big" Engines Comin'

Replies

• claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    ambershee wrote: »
    Claydough - there's something about the formatting in your post that makes it really painful to read :/
    makes sense.. no sleep and jes as painful to write. :\

KISS version should be...
    If you r that inspired by GI, as an artist that interest usually always is rewarded by artistic growth. Go fer it.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Enlighten isn't realtime GI. it still requires lightmaps.
  • Inpw
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Speaking about RTS: may be it would be interesting but we make Blitzkrieg 3 exactly on Unity.
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0gLhZYuB4zofX0jpvVv6ZA
    http://i.imgur.com/Wc8S1Ce.jpg
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Enlighten isn't realtime GI. it still requires lightmaps.

That is a very loose and misleading definition of Enlighten's GI approach
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Claydough.

Thanks man. I am not as experienced as you but let me put a "my feelings exactly" here.
    Thanks for sparing time to write all this.

Inpw

Yeah lookin col mmate. Do you guys have any problems in performance when nay units go at each other in the ame screen ?

marks

Yeah, I remeber it is not "baking" exactly but it is something like a "precomputing" thing.

All I know is I played a game made with Enlighten and it nearly killed my machine (PC). But then again maybe it was havingperformance issues that are soled today ?
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    If you use enlighten plan to ship your game with 1tb external drive because of its footprint.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    If you use enlighten plan to ship your game with 1tb external drive because of its footprint.

Wow ! That much ? Hmm I must look on this subject.
  • Inpw
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    TAN wrote: »
    Yeah lookin col mmate. Do you guys have any problems in performance when nay units go at each other in the ame screen ?
    Nope, we do not have such problems. Actually there are not too many units in the same time even in mass scenes. Terrain on the other hand a very resource-intensive. So small advice for those who interested: it's better to use custom external terrain.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    marks wrote: »
    That is a very loose and misleading definition of Enlighten's GI approach

It does still require baking though - it's not on the fly and doesn't work with non-static geometry ;)
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Back to the topic. Why would you want dynamic GI in RTS game ? I mean really..
    I can understrand need for dynamic GI in something like sandbox RPG, for that matter any sandbox game, as they tend to pretty open ended and dynamic in their own way, where nothing is set in stone.
    Plus, players are usually quite close the the environment (FPP or TPP).

But RTS ? Camera is on top, and most players would be more than happy to put in even higher and replace all units with moving icons. Just sayin. That's how I'm playing Planetary Annihilation ;p.

Even fairly unit centric games like Dawn Of War 1/2 won't benefit much from advanced lighting.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Icons or iconic art is a good point with RTS, while integrating assets is a nice thing for anything static, too well integrated units might destroy readability at a distance.

Besides that simple bouncelight fakes can be integrated via ambient cubemaps, which are a a lot lighter than realtime GI.

claydough: nobody says that realtime GI is a bad thing, and it will come, no question about it. And it will be used where it makes sense, and possibly everywhere at a time where the computation costs can be ignored. But we are far from that point.

I was thinking about writing this last paragraph with a heavy german accent in it, to illustrate how hard it is to follow you thanks to your written dialect, would be really cool if you could drop it, just for the sake of readability.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    I think Claydough missed the part where we all realized that Tan seemed to be mixing up realtime lighting with realtime GI. It seems like what Tan's actual goals --no baking lightmaps/shadowmaps in an RTS-- are are totally feasible.

Also, you can tell who in this thread has actually used Enlighten based off of how jaded their replies are. :-(
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    I think Claydough missed the part where we all realized that Tan seemed to be mixing up realtime lighting with realtime GI. It seems like what Tan's actual goals --no baking lightmaps/shadowmaps in an RTS-- are are totally feasible.

Also, you can tell who in this thread has actually used Enlighten based off of how jaded their replies are. :-(

i dont think he was talking about realtime lighting, because frankly every 3D engine has that.

as to enlighten; its a pretty complex technology, and even if they could communicate that complexety it would make no sense for them to do so, from a business standpoint.
    so its basically impossible for someone who has not worked with it, to understand it.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Goeddy wrote: »
    i dont think he was talking about realtime lighting, because frankly every 3D engine has that.

as to enlighten; its a pretty complex technology, and even if they could communicate that complexety it would make no sense for them to do so, from a business standpoint.
    so its basically impossible for someone who has not worked with it, to understand it.

Tl;dr

It's THATTT BAD ?
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I think Claydough missed the part where we all realized that Tan seemed to be mixing up realtime lighting with realtime GI.

No mate, sorry but I wouldn't confuse things to such an extent :)

In fact what I had asked for was " if there was any intel anyone has on new engines would become available to public like subscrption/ SDK". Then suddenly things started to jump around so fast I even forgot my own name for a second.

I don't want to go back to that part of the arguement and people who have hand on experience are actually writing so let's not go back to that :)

@ lnpw

Sage advice eh ? I will keep that in mind. Thanks mate :)
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    ah, my misunderstanding then! :-)
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    iniside wrote: »
    Tl;dr

It's THATTT BAD ?

its not bad, its just very far from a "make GI now"-button.
    i probably signed something somewhere that im not allowed to talk about all this in more detail.
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Goeddy wrote: »
    its not bad, its just very far from a "make GI now"-button.
    i probably signed something somewhere that im not allowed to talk about all this in more detail.
    tysonreaction.gif
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    ambershee wrote: »
    ...and doesn't work with non-static geometry ;)

Interesting! I wonder if this is true in all licensed implementations?
    Or did they just cripple support for dynamic skeletal geometry after the pre-release?

( for instance... after the posted 2008 pre-release demo which
    seems to clearly suggest GI illumination on the character geometry driven by a movable light no less?? )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCPQiCliKmg"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCPQiCliKmg[/ame]

And if they did cripple suppport fer as much...
    What hardware in 2008 did this demo run on?

Thanx in advance fer any illumination on the matter ( sorry, pun intended :) )
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Since there's a lot of real time GI talk in this thread, From the UE4 forums.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?2421-Global-Illumination-alternatives&p=193884&viewfull=1#post193884

In case you guys want to try out this early version. This is like step 1 out of 10 toward getting it usable, but the scariest part is working (efficient indirect shadowing).

Change 2390645 by Daniel.Wright@DWRIGHT-Z2430-UE4 on 2014/12/16 19:59:21
    Distance Field Global Illumination first working version
    * Requires a Movable Skylight + 'r.DistanceFieldGI 1' + 'r.GenerateMeshDistanceFields' project setting enabled
    * Provides a single bounce of Diffuse GI with bounce distance limited by OcclusionMaxDistance (default 6m)
    * Virtual Point Lights are placed from the directional light by ray tracing the scene's distance fields, normal comes from SDF gradient
    * Currently only placing 128*128 VPLs up to 40m from camera
    * VPLs light irradiance cache samples using hemispherical disk light model, indirect shadowing is provided by the same cone traces used for Distance Field AO
    * Irradiance is computed only at irradiance cache points (max every 8 pixels) and interpolated to the rest of the pixels
    * Hardcoded half grey material color for now, and poor performance due to brute force VPL lighting

siGgH9s.jpg

8xVKgDV.jpg