Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: ID Color mask detection errors

Hi all!

i have a problem when using color maps in DDO. I created a mask and already used completly different colors to create IDs. DDO does not detect my colors correctly tough. Does anyone know this problem?

Please check the attached image. You can see that i have a yellow area in the map, which DDO does not pick up upon at all. It finds 6 IDs which is the amount of different colors i habe but does not get the IDs corretly.

Help! :(

Replies

• cverhoolen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, i am using CS6 and a 4K TGA. Suite version is 1.8.

Thanks! :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi!

We have lately discovered a bug regarding the Color-ID system. It looks as though this might be the cause for you :/ Really sorry about this, we´re working on fixing it!
  • cverhoolen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the quick reply Eric. :)

It is really hard to work with DDO atm through this. :( I will have to export a couple of IDs at a time then.

Btw.: The Rerendering of the ID masks does not work eihter. As soon as i reimport and then rerender, it keeps the former ID mask :(
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im very very sorry about this! We will try to get it sorted as soon as possible!

About the rerender, i use it quite a lot and it works very well for me, have you tried clicking that little x on the color map and then reselect it and then re-render?
  • cverhoolen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will try that. Thanks! :) Will let you know if it worked
  • NorbertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if I'm going to be too helpful but I'll give it a go.
    DDO does not detect my colors correctly

I'm going to bet that it's how you're creating your colour maps...

If you're like me and using blender to bake your colour map make sure your color management device is set to NONE as shown here:

S33xraJ.png

or it won't render the exact colours you need
  • cverhoolen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Norbert,

in this instance i had to create the color map by hand in Photoshop.
  • NorbertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cverhoolen wrote: »
    Hi Norbert,

in this instance i had to create the color map by hand in Photoshop.

Are you using the swatches from Quixel, if so you shouldn't have a problem.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, could you post your Color ID map so I can try it? Im trying to hunt down some sort of concistency with this bug! Thanks in advance :)
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    NorbertR wrote: »
    Are you using the swatches from Quixel, if so you shouldn't have a problem.

Maybe I'm missing it, the old ddo created a folder in my directory that had the swatches, a folder I cannot find for the quixel suite? Is there somewhere I can download the ddo specific swatches, or will the old ones still work?

To any quixel folks reading this, I'm also having an id map issue. When I upload my id map, that I created using the basic PS swatches, I can go into the links section and dictate what materials I want applied to each color, however, when I add in my other maps and run ddo, some of those sections are just blank, or the material they have applied is not the one I told it to apply. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  • Woodee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing it, the old ddo created a folder in my directory that had the swatches, a folder I cannot find for the quixel suite? Is there somewhere I can download the ddo specific swatches, or will the old ones still work?

To any quixel folks reading this, I'm also having an id map issue. When I upload my id map, that I created using the basic PS swatches, I can go into the links section and dictate what materials I want applied to each color, however, when I add in my other maps and run ddo, some of those sections are just blank, or the material they have applied is not the one I told it to apply. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

C:\Users\Public\Quixel\SUITE\swatches ?
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    You're my hero Woodee. Thanks!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks woodie for helping out :)
  • chrisrat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reading on what caverhoolen described I have similar problems with correctly detecting colors on ID map. I tried to replace undetected colors to quite different RGB but without results.

I noticed that if I use two similar colors from Quixel swatches for Photoshop,I have always problems with correctly selecting one of them in dDO. In second case similar problems are for very small areas on ID map like stitches on clothes (for character models)

By the way... I tried to speed up my workflow with making ID map into ZBrush(I'm using exported models with polypaint form ZBrush into xNormal for bake _vcols map. Using this technique I have a question:

Is it correct if I make print screen from Photoshop Quixel swathes (save as .psd) and use this print screen into ZBrush for eyedrop color?(I imported it to ZBrush layout using Texture/Image Plane. I attached simple layout below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9pUric_FS31ZGs4U0FMRFh2NjA/view?usp=sharing
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should be very possible!

"Is it correct if I make print screen from Photoshop Quixel swathes (save as .psd) and use this print screen into ZBrush for eyedrop color?(I imported it to ZBrush layout using Texture/Image Plane. I attached simple layout below."
  • cverhoolen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

I have used the colors from the color swatches now and that worked. I replaced th e materials DDO picked afterwards. Oh and completly got rid of antialiasing, which worked too.

Thanks!
  • Eric Ramberg
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NorbertR wrote: »
    If you're like me and using blender to bake your colour map make sure your color management device is set to NONE as shown here:

Thank you! You just saved me quite a bit of frustration.

For anyone else like me who wasn't sure where this setting was, it's under the Scene tab.
  • currve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currve polycounter lvl 3
    I got a problem with maya 2015 and ddo 1.8 too.
    I have made my mesh (there isn't a different if combinded or completely seperated mesh), then I assigned a lambert shader for the whole mesh.
    Then I used Nightshade Blockout to dye the UV map to receive the color id map.After that I save it at a 4k res (I also tried 1k/2k/8k). When I load up the mesh in ddo 1.8 now, there are all parts of the mesh and every part as to be assigned with the idmap- or do I have to combine the whole mesh to get 'one' piece because it is already UV'd? Ofcourse, the color id map is linked via the 'link' button and it seems ok. When I press 'c' in 3DO the color idmaps looks ok, too..

The main problem is that I can't assign different materials to the mesh. In 3DO the mesh is very shiny and look like a glass/window material. I can't assign different materials for every part of the mesh though it is UV'd properly... What do I wrong?
    I can't find anything here or in a tutorial.. Thank you!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Currve!

When the mesh appears shiny its usually due to incorrect input-maps or mesh. You can look in the wiki for more help on inputs here: http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=inputmaps

Or upload the project for me to have a look at it :)
  • currve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currve polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Currve!

When the mesh appears shiny its usually due to incorrect input-maps or mesh. You can look in the wiki for more help on inputs here: http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=inputmaps

Or upload the project for me to have a look at it :)

ok maybe it is because the missing AA on the UV-lines. I'll check that asap. Thank you Eric!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currve - A shiny/chromed mesh is most likely not caused by the color ID map though, that would probably be due to mesh or normal map!
  • currve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currve polycounter lvl 3
    Ok in that case I will keep my eyes at it. Sorry for my inexperience..
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, thats why Im here :)