Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Max generate BAD ID map even with swatche

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
Hello,

I switched to max ... And when i bake a color map for ID map purpose. It seems that max change the color at baking even if i use the Ddo swatches [fbx] so Ddo is not able to read anymore the material based on the ID color map generated by max ...

Do anybody was able to generate a decent ID map with max [wich Ddo will be able to read without manul reasignement] ?

Actually i have to re assign all the Materials to ids manually wich is kind of painfull as i already did it in max ...

I did a research on this thread an it seams that other person do have this issue but none was solved.

Thanks in advance.
Massimo

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Its a known issue that max generats wrongly calibrated colors, we´re looking in to this as we speak! But there is a feature that might solve this until then, in the base creator - Select the option (far right corner)
    advanced option/Find closest ID Match. What will happen then is when you load your color map from max DDO will try to match it even if the colors are off a bit.

Hope this helps!
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    You simply need to setup your working gamma right first.
    In 3ds Max 2014 there is no gamma input/output spinners, so you need to correct it when you save image or change it in config files.

I'm using SolidRocks for Vray and its has almost fully automated process of gamma correction of pre-renders and renders for post compose, even with render to texture. there is a few gamma tweaks need to understand versus maya's.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Avis Para.doc's ok i now use a 2.2 Gamma but how can i burn the 2.2 Gamma into the picture without Vray ??? ... I don't have Vray.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    Set the right gamma settings in max
    Gamma-and-LUT.gif

If there is no settings (max 2014, 2015)
    You need to correct your output gamma manually when saving. Try 1.0 or 2.2 depending on you currently "Gamma/LUT settings"
    vrayNormals_gamma_Linear.png

That strange decision is made for much more easy and solid float point renderings. By default max sets input and output gamma to 2.2, so it means that no input maps being corrected to 2.2 and no output files being corrected to gamma 2.2. For better understand that values dont show gamma that will be applied to image, its says to MAX what current gamma has image on input/output operation.