Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: Quixel for Arnold, Vray in Maya

I was wondering if there were anyway to get the materials in DDO library to work more accurately for Vray or Arnold in Maya/3DS Max. Especially in regards to the normal maps and spec maps.

Replies

• Chipers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chipers polycounter lvl 5
    Will there be support Vray?
  • ericktjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericktjoe polycounter lvl 4
    I've used quixel generated maps in arnold, vray and mentalray. They gave almost identical result with real time engine, such as toolbag and unreal, without any tweaking. The cpu renderer could even give better result with extra light bounces, sampling, etc. It's physical-based and I think they're pretty much cross platform. So yes, they're pretty much accurate. You just have to know your render engine inside out. It worked for me, dunno with others.
  • Macroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thank you ericktjoe. I've been trying the PBR settings, and we use mostly Arnold as our main renderer. Arnold uses Tangent Space Normals, and they were coming out a little flat (yeah I know they are normal maps lol) last time I checked in comparison to Marmoset. I've tried adjusting the settings, and they seem to be working better now. Thank your for the recommendations on trying Unreal, etc.
  • ericktjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericktjoe polycounter lvl 4
    You're welcome. For normal map in arnold, don't forget to uncheck "Flip R Channel" and "Flip G Channel". Arnold will flip your normal map by default
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Yes there will be support for all those mentioned. Coming as soon as we can put it in!
    Thanks ericktjoe for helping! :)
  • Rokai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokai null
    if somehow it still wont look the same.. in maya 2016
    go to window - preferences - color management
    in input color space rules click add
    input the condition that every normal map treat as raw Img.
    so with the roughness and height map.

u can set it manually though in the files attrib. but this will do automatically all the normal map input and treat it as Raw img.
    hope this will help.

• Billy Lundevall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billy Lundevall polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, we have both a Vray and Arnold export preset. However the Arnold SRGB preset will be looked at soon after some feedback from the Arnold devs.