Home General Discussion

"AAA" launches

Replies

• juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    financial and familial obligations are now comfort zones, the quality of produced entertainment is now important enough to abandon said obligations, and fun is now an objectively judged quantity

MAN> i; dunno
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    there are two sides to that argument and both have valid points.

if you believe you're working somewhere or for something that does things you dislike... sure, you can choose not to be a part of it.

but the problem is, even if every artist in the entirety of Ubisoft decided to up and leave (all what... 400+ of them?) it would change nothing. we already live and work in an over-saturated market. there are already more artists than jobs. Ubisoft, or any other large publisher for that matter, could replace their entire workforce with relative ease. the only difficulty they would encounter is workflow training and missing a couple of deadlines for a year or two at most, which in the big scheme of things means nothing.

i'd even bet money they could put a positive spin on it and not take a huge hit with their shareholders.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If art was not subjective, then our Polycount contests would have a clear and obvious winner each time with only one person receiving votes.
    As soon as a voter says, 'well, both of these are good but which one do I like better?' the decision becomes subjective.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    For Christmas I want a talking Tidal Blast doll. Pull the string and have my mind blown each time.
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is beautiful. Srsly tho, AAA games are gonna launch like this more and more if people keep buying them in this state.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look, be realistic. What you guys are proposing ...don't buy games that have bugs at launch... will only fly if you can get the majority of the game playing public to play along. Now, realistically, that's not going to happen. So what are other solutions you can think of? Complaining about it endlessly on the internet has been proven ineffective.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Lwill only fly if you can get the majority of the game playing public to play along.

this+is+why+i+bomb+people+2.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How am I wrong?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Complaining about it endlessly on the internet has been proven ineffective.

no, no, no. you're obviously new to the internet! It's just not effective because not enough people have complained yet! So yes, this complaining needs to go on, for years, decades, if it has to! And someone has to make a poll, and a petition - no, better, 100 petitions, just to show the corporate big wigs it's serious! Or maybe even petition the white house! This thread is just a beginning! ...oh, and we could always add some cat pictures, I guess. Then at least there's something useful about all that complaining and this thread.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    How am I wrong?

Who said you were?

The problem really is the herd mentality, and it would seem the general public are completely unable to learn from their mistakes.

...and so the cycle continues.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pre-orders make money so, no, they aren't going away.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I still don't understand what the problem with pre-orders are. Every time I pre-order a game, I save money, get the game on launch, if not earlier, and I usually get some kind of free bonus thrown into the mix as well, which is usually either a small digital item or some type of physical collectible item (or in some cases, I get extra games for free.)

I've been pre-ordering games since the gamecube was relevant and to date I can only recall getting burned on a single pre-order, which was Call of Duty:Ghosts. I'll gladly take all the fun memories of midnight launches and saved money from early purchases over $60 I could have saved.

Just do research on a game before pre-ordering, there are usually hours worth of content available on any big name title months before it launches, and basically every big name game gets leaked out at least a week in advance if you want further information about a title, which can be obtained from youtube videos. If there are blatant issues with a game, it is very easily discovered before you have to commit to a purchase and you can cancel if you feel the need to.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Pick any two:

It can be done quickly
    It can be done to a high standard
    It can be done with low cost

This is how just about anything manufactured works.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thats pretty interesting mr _gir.

I would also add quantity/scope factor to that but this theory seems very accurate.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wizo wrote: »
    thats pretty interesting mr _gir.

I would also add quantity/scope factor to that but this theory seems very accurate.

It's how i balance my freelance rates too :P

"oh you want a full character, sculpted, retopo'd, uv'd, baked, textured, in 2 weeks? sure thing! do you want it to look good or be cheap?"

essentially if they want all of that in that time frame, either i work my regular 8 hour day, and it looks cack. or i put extra hours into it and my rates would reflect that. but they'd have a good looking character.

you'd be amazed how many places are only interested in cheap + quick though ;)