Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Exploration of Skin and Hair

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JabacOrdof polycounter lvl 3
These are my first real attempts at exploring color and light on skin and hair when painting in Photoshop. Critiques and Tips are encouraged! Thanks all.
[IMG][/img]UKvZF8L.jpg
[IMG][/img]dueDGTb.jpg

Replies

• acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    How are you exploring both sujets? Do you use references for that?

Skincolor:
    Looks fine - will look a lot better when the drawing supports it. Once you get all the values of the planes and the anatomical base right your colors will look even better, even if they are the same. You can still study light and shadow a bit more, especially how skin reacts to light and all of that fun.

hair:
    You did way too much work here. Hair does not need every single hair painted. Look at references, hair always comes in clusters and by that has planes. When you add detail hairs in some places the viewers had will fill in the rest.
    Watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHewz3JbKrQ
  • JabacOrdof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JabacOrdof polycounter lvl 3
    I am using different pictures of the skin tone I was trying to mimic and seeing how the light affects them, so a lot of pictures with good light/dark contrast. Proper forms on the face is definitely something I am still trying to nail, so I will have to make sure I am studying anatomical references more. Thank you for the tutorial link it was very interesting I never thought to think of hair that way.