Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4-Sudio Ghibli inspired Environment

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
sloppymess polycounter lvl 8
Hey PC!

I'm working on a project for school and I think i'm at a good stage for feedback.

I'm doing a sort of stylized studio-ghibli inspired project!

Here's where I am currently:

WwWawLP.png
djYahcW.png
d9Sf8hm.png

Here are some ref's:

yHzQxSs.jpg
d6m7emF.jpg
VhBLMgO.jpg

Some things that i'm currently working on:
Breaking up the monotone green. The building/house will be a yellow with a bright red roof, similar to one in the concept. I'm going to add a more variety of trees. That will hopefully add more interest. I'm going to work on the rocks, and rock placement.

Stay tuned, because I'm going to be updating pretty often until the project is due! Thanks!

Replies

• inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    I like your project and general mood in the picture, very colorful work at this stage)
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    awesome mood and feeling but i would rotate the trees randomly?
    now they are very recognizable as the same repeating tree all over
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    looking forward to this ...
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Loving everything about this, except for that rock/cliff wall.
    Right now it looks like oversized pebbles :(
    Maybe do some more research and post a ref image for the rocks so we see where you're going with them?

Keep it up, it already looks great.
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice mood in this scene.

I completely agree with NomadSoul2501, you definitely need more random rotation in those trees. Perhaps subtle scale variation too. I'd also do the same with some of those rocks as they're quite obviously the same. Maybe a couple more different meshes would help?

I'd suggest moving your grass down a tiny bit too as it's floating slightly. It conforms a bit too well to the terrain on the slopes, rather than pointing more upwards.

Nice work though! I really like it. Hope some of my comments are useful.
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a big fan of the ghibli films, that's a nice idea for a project.

Another tip for you is to make your house smaller and surrounded by lots of trees like on those concepts, they give a feel of a dense and wild forest.
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjuuuh polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good!

My only comment is that I would rotate the rocks in the 2nd image. they are all looking very similar at the moment and simply rotating and scaling them to different sizes shoul solve this issue.
  • sloppymess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ NomadSoul2501, WesleyArthur, chrisjuuuh

You both are super right about the rocks and trees. I went through and mixed up their sized and rotations. When I create more types of trees it will hopefully get rid of the problem tree problem. And as for the rocks, I'll look around for more inspiration. I definitely need more variation in there!

@ felipealves I think that's a good idea! I'll move the trees closer and make it a little more dense!

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback. I should have some new pictures going up tomorrow. I've been UVing and texturing the house! I have it so I can vertex paint moss/dirt/grunge on it, so that's nice.
  • sloppymess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go!

5cFiv6r.png?1
    00X0LeF.png?1
    YYOJvek.png?1
    NDJO1Ip.png?1

This is what I've got so far. I moved around the trees, added more of a backdrop, changed the lighting to focus more on the house, mixed up the rocks and trees. I think next i'm going to add more tree types! As always, and and all critiques would be really helpful.

Thanks!
  • sloppymess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! Here's a little update to me environment! I still have so much to do!

vz3cAHl.png?1
    fxGJwog.png?1
    413UsMC.png?1
    NTqVc3H.png?1

If anyone has any advice on fixing weird lighting problems of foliage when using the UE4 foliage tool I would be so happy. Some plants and things are coming in pure black. Some Examples that are bugging me that I don't know how to fix:

iY4LfF4.png
    iAef0KR.png

Next I'll probably finish up more of the modeling detail on the house. Adding gutters and things like that. Then I want to add a little flower beds or maybe farming/vegetables in the front yard inside the fence.

Thanks!
  • sloppymess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the final video I submitted for class! I'm not done with it yet though. I want to upgrade the house, maybe add a well. Also make the grass move and sway with the wind. Any other suggestions would be really great. Thanks!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZOgvfQ-5HA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZOgvfQ-5HA[/ame]
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    Your environment is looking really nice.
    That music on the video seems like an odd choice to me. Something more mellow like 'Spirited Away - One Summer's Day' might fit more, in my opinion.
  • sloppymess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! I'm taking a little break on this for a bit. I'M COMING BACK TO IT IN A FEW WEEKS. I'm working on my next portfolio piece over at http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147822 if you'd like to check that out!