Home General Discussion

Zbrush 4r7 Discussion

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I use zbrush nearly all the time and I mainly just use the clay brush and dam standard brsuh
    I occasionally turn the model and that's all I seem to need really
    i think trying to shoehorn too many features in to please people who do not primarily sculpt is maybe a bad idea.
    basic sub d tools is ok but tbh I would n't really like do do a complex tech model in zbrush, that's not really what it was designed for.
  • brojay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking forward to 64bit.. not necessarily so I can just go crazy and make massive models.. but just so I don't have to WORRY about it if I happen to.

I like the Keyshot integration.. I've yet to see SSS or realistic skin rendered in it though.

Things I'd like to see:
    As mentioned by a few here already.. Subtool Folders! Something that works like layers in Photoshop. I've been wanting that for as long as I can remember.. An easier way to keep your stuff organized and tidy.

A way to temporarily group and work across several subtools at the same time without merging them would be great as well.. so you don't have to worry about polygroups, merging, splitting, etc.. just a single button that you could toggle on and off when you have 2 or more subtools selected.

I'd also like some standardized scale and rotate gizmos. The ones we have are fine about 75% of the time.. but some standard issue nav. controls like those found in EVERY other 3D program would be a big time saver.

Maybe give some "workspace" options for a leaner, less cluttered, more concise interface... like "sculpting", "surfacing", "texturing" etc.. I dunno.
    I customized my UI so I can't even remember all the things I rearranged and changed to make it more intuitive.. so I'll leave it at.. "make the UI better-er"

I agree with a lot of what some are saying here.. I love it but, Zbrush is a complex beast.. many times unnecessarily so.. it'd be great if Pixologic took strides to remedy that. There's so many functions that they could refine to remove the often times, 3 or 4 extraneous steps it takes to do something. It's like Zbrush can do SO much.. but it rarely automates anything... you have to guide it 100% down the path.

Take the subtraction/boolean function. Why do I need to click a little icon on one subtool to id it as the "subtract-ee", place it below the soon-to-be affected subtool, merge them together, then re-dynamesh the lot to tell Zbrush what I want to happen? There's already a "sub" button in the dynamesh panel. Why not put that to work? Why not keep it simple? Place the subtracting subtool under the other and hit "sub" in the dynamesh panel. Let Zbrush do the math.. subtract the subtool and dynamesh to an all new subtool.
    Zbrush needs to do more legwork.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    brojay wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to 64bit.. not necessarily so I can just go crazy and make massive models.. but just so I don't have to WORRY about it if I happen to.

Wouldn't it completely remove the need to constantly abuse the Decimation Master before exporting?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take the subtraction/boolean function. Why do I need to click a little icon on one subtool to id it as the "subtract-ee", place it below the soon-to-be affected subtool, merge them together, then re-dynamesh the lot to tell Zbrush what I want to happen? There's already a "sub" button in the dynamesh panel. Why not put that to work? Why not keep it simple? Place the subtracting subtool under the other and hit "sub" in the dynamesh panel. Let Zbrush do the math.. subtract the subtool and dynamesh to an all new subtool.
    Zbrush needs to do more legwork.
    That's definitely valid. A lot of the time, new features feel like someone figured out how to shoehorn the feature into the existing feature set rather than trying to implement it cleanly.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    MeshPotato wrote: »
    Wouldn't it completely remove the need to constantly abuse the Decimation Master before exporting?

It sort of would. I just hope the way things are going with Autodesk, Pixologic atleast implements a bridge between blender and zbrush while they are bridging Keyshot, I dont see that happening for next 10 years.

With that being said; I hope Autodesk Business consultants take their faces out of their asses and actually realize that they are heading towards the black hole.

To those of you who are curious to know what I am talking about:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140756