Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - The fall of Morgana

Hi everyone!

My entry will be on Kayle and Morgana but focusing on the latter more (hence the title The Fall Of Morgana).

There are always two sides to a story. Morgana was branded a “fallen” and is locked into an eternal war with her sister. But I like to imagine there was a sisterly love between Morgana and Kayle before the corruption.

The idea in my rendition is to capture the moment the sisterly love disappeared and conflict was born. I want to show Morgana casting her first Dark Binding spell, which in my view is what corrupted her. She purposely corrupts herself so she can obtain more power. We see Kayle still trying to save her sister before she turns, but as Kayle witnesses the transformation she ignites her sword, ready to strike down her sister.

This is The Fall Of Morgana.

For the design of Morgana I will be based on her exiled and classic skins. My intention is to show both sides of her and the process of corruption.

I'm posting my initials sketches for the moment and some WIP in greyscale.
Excuse the messy sketches XD
The last image is the one for the final (need to add clouds for the background soon).
Any comments are appreciated!

50sd8z.jpg
vpdr8m.jpg
5wwktd.jpg
akelua.jpg
2cmuneu.jpg
vosj6d.jpg
2n9b1fl.jpg
dzf385.jpg

Replies

• Silvarspark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silvarspark polycounter lvl 3
    I bet there are some rennaisance or baroque pictures out there that might help you.
  • BlazeNoire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying hard and giving it my all
    still have lots to do!
    55s6mv.jpg
  • BlazeNoire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the wings are almost done!
    what i need to do is make their differences a bit more visible so they won't seem like the same wing
    next step is fleshing out Kayle (for the sake of the whole composition) and then the dress

10839745_10203818102548321_1391150820_o.jpg?oh=475ea4eb3286bfd4ba63f35cacfa773b&oe=54839B62&__gda__=1417944819_e0f8d3e58ed1e481d99f5beafff886f2
  • Klaus Hustle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaus Hustle polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Blaze!

I love the Dynamic of your Morgana and all the cool Details you painted in yet! I am not too sure about the colors&values tho, but im really looking forward to the finished version! =)

I also work on a similar Piece, but the acting is a bit different in mine, its more about the tension between Kayle & Morgana. but i couldnt create my own Thread yet =)

Hopefully we will have TWO outstanding Morgana&Kayle related Illustrations in the end.

Cheers!
  • BlazeNoire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more progress!
    still have the sword, spells and fix a few things on Morgana (mostly the skin)
    2pt5wd0.jpg
  • BlazeNoire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there Klaus!
    Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your insights on my drawing! Still working on it!

I'm glad someone finally replied back xP

Did you manage to start your thread?
    I'd love to see your take on those two characters as well! should be awesome :)
  • Klaus Hustle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyhey!

i acutally had to use the Search-function to find your thread haha :D

You did a greeat job on your rendering so far! all the work you put in the wings and stuff, i also love how you rendered kayles armor!

are you open for some recommendation?
  • BlazeNoire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again!!
    Thanks for the comments again:)

I'm definitely open to recommendation, just hope I'll be able to fix everything
    Yesterday I was working on the skin and some values/colors
  • Klaus Hustle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am a bit late to reply, i am really busy with my piece as well ;)

i just made a reeally quick overpaint, excuse the shitty quality, its just to illustrate what i would love to see in your work.

Y31eKb3.jpg

you really did a great job on all the textures and stuff, but in my opinion you have to make bolder statements with value, at the same time structure and group your values for better readability.

if you want something to pop, surround it with a bit of calm areas. you did a good job on kayle, but her surroundings were way too noisy, you know what i mean? it took alot away from her... i am not too good in explaining those kind of things, thats why i did the quick overpaint ;)

i also would recommend to work on the gesture of morganas wings. i see what u tried to do, but it needs a bit more uprising feel to it, something more powerfull. something that lives up to morgana.

8 days to go, good luck dood! i am looking forward to see more.
  • BlazeNoire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! no need to apologize, we are trying our best to meet the deadline!
    I understand what you are trying to say!
    My concern is how I will soften the edges of the dress ><
    I'm not photoshop expert really (because I'm self taught) and the way I work is kinda like i'm painting using digital colors instead of oils or acrylics.
    Any tips will be helpful and your comments are much appreciated!:)
  • Klaus Hustle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just try stuff out, and use layers for it. you can try everything you want, but do it on a new layer, so you can delete or hide it any time u want to see if what u did was an improvement or not. thats just a little tip in general i can give you for better workflow.

but dont worry, as long as you are open to try stuff out you will learn it all! and you will find out ways that works best for you. i am also self-taught, and i am pretty good @photoshop :)

also know: there are always a lot of ways to do stuff, there is not always THE BEST way, but probably a way that fits best to your situation.

so, if you want to soften edges, you could just paint carefully over the edges with a really soft brush.. try it out until you got the desired effect.

if your forms are organized in layers, and i would recommend that for some instances, you could make selections with the lasso-tool for instance, you could than either right click on the selection and soften the selection to a degree of pixels or you can apply a blur filter (FILTERS -> BLURR -> GAUSSIAN) to your selection, thats it!

but the most intuitive way is to just paint over areas, test it out, make sure that u can undo stuff with the use of layers. if you got the form on a layer you could also apply a mask on the layer and draw an on the mask, i dont know if you are familiar with it!

my text is a mess, but if you got a specific question, just ask! :)
  • xxxcloverxxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHoa!! dude! wow lol
  • BlazeNoire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My finished piece, I'm glad I made it on time!!
    I learned so much while working on it and I won't stop learning and getting better.
    Thank you for your comments, especially Klaus for the helping tips:)
    Good luck to all!!

j7afm0.jpg