Home Technical Talk

is there a script to Lock Vertices Position in 3ds max ?

hey guys .
almost all threads i came across that have the same problem did not got a solution for this
is there any script that can freeze/lock vertices in the sub-object level
i am trying to use soft selection on specific areas like the zbrush mask
one way that seemed to work but very useless is using wire parameter ,by linking vertex position to another position of another object .
31ArRw.jpg
this is a plane and two middle vertices were linked and moved the two end vertices with sofselection enabled
however wire parameter is useless as you see you can only link one vertex at time . maybe this can be turned into a script . or is there already a script that can lock vertices ?

Replies

• spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Did you look into painting your softselection ?
    You can paint the softselection value of your specific vertices to zero and they will not be affected by the softselection any longer.
    Lock soft selection has to be enabled for this ( gets enabled automatically when you start painting )

Carefull: unlocking soft selection after you painted will reset the painted vertices
  • kurordo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog wrote: »
    Did you look into painting your softselection ?
    You can paint the softselection value of your specific vertices to zero and they will not be affected by the softselection any longer.
    Lock soft selection has to be enabled for this ( gets enabled automatically when you start painting )

Carefull: unlocking soft selection after you painted will reset the painted vertices

this was first thing i tried to get along with . it is very hard to paint smooth gradual transition and becomes pain when you need to do successive changes .
    it would be much better if there were a switch for vertices to be affected by the soft selection :(
  • kurordo
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an alternative, you could try using Vertex Color as your selection mask. I've done this for animating foliage, making the outer leaves move while the stems do not.

You can use a Vol. Select modifier to turn the vertex color into a selection, like this. Just load a Vertex Color map in the texture slot.

Z9VPWKL.png
  • kurordo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an alternative, you could try using Vertex Color as your selection mask. I've done this for animating foliage, making the outer leaves move while the stems do not.

You can use a Vol. Select modifier to turn the vertex color into a selection, like this. Just load a Vertex Color map in the texture slot.

Z9VPWKL.png

that's cool . you can still modify the painting while the deformations applied .
    thank you Eric Chadwick .
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have periodically looked for something like this because it would be really helpful. If its only a couple verts I just copy the xyz pos and afterwards paste those back in. I haven't found anything quick and easy. I have never seen that workaround Eric thanks for showing that.

As a sidebar the retopo plguin WrapIt also locks verts based on vert color but I'm not sure how he does it. It only locks the verts from the conforming effects of the plugin not all transformations however. http://matt-clark.co.uk/wrapit/spe.php?o=165#lock
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done some cool stuff with that Vol Select technique, it works pretty well.

There's a video in here that shows how sound waves compress/expand with doppler. It's at about 2:06
    http://ericchadwick.com/img/geocommander.html

I used Vol Select to grab a mesh object linked to the ship, and used that position to center a soft selection deform on the ship, distorting the waves mesh as it passes through them. The waves were a scrolling texture. Kinda cool that it actually worked.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    nyx702 wrote: »
    If its only a couple verts I just copy the xyz pos and afterwards paste those back in. I haven't found anything quick and easy.

Maybe you already know this, but in the Ribbon Modeling tab > Polygon Modeling > Symmetry Tools has a copy and paste selected button.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
    monster said:
    nyx702 wrote: »
    If its only a couple verts I just copy the xyz pos and afterwards paste those back in. I haven't found anything quick and easy.

Maybe you already know this, but in the Ribbon Modeling tab > Polygon Modeling > Symmetry Tools has a copy and paste selected button.
    Thank you!