Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted textures WIP

Hey all first post here try to get some feedback for my hand painted textures.
k6ZmmIy.jpg
GSOa5Bs.jpg

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The strokes and overall painting looks pretty nice, I'm wondering about what looks like a cloud/different cloud layer pin-lighted over it though.

While it may look nice up close texture wise, I have a feeling that marbley cloud layer is going to cause some very obvious/not so great tiling when placed as a repeating texture in an environment.

I usually leave something like a cube (UVmapped in tiles so that any texture would tile quite a bit) open in something like marmoset toolbag 2, and then alt-tab between photoshop and marmoset while I work and save in order to get a better idea of how the texture would look overall in a repeating scene. You could also do the same test in photoshop by making another document with smart objects of your tiling texture all placed side by side, but I find viewing it tiling in a 3D program like marmoset to be alot faster and a more accurate representation of what it'll look like as the end-product.

Another tip is once you're happy with all of your primary shapes and where everythings placed/overall color is to go back and work in some additional color varation between some of the various elements to make things a bit more interesting. IE selecting a few random bricks that you painted, and adjusting the hue/saturation/value just a bit so the colors are not so completely uniform. You could also go back on top of that once done and add in a few more brush strokes to avoid the obvious "this was lassoed in photoshop and had it's values changes" look.

A third piece of advice is possibly look into alternating your line weight or "thickness" of your lines as you work. For example, the white lines you painted that help emphasize the edges are nice, but could differ slightly in their actual thickness in certain parts to add a little bit of a kick to them or make it feel more "chippy." Just some general line stroke advice that may come down to a preference in taste and your overall art direction. I've seen plenty of artists purposely work with one stroke of thickness as well and turn out great.

That said, looking good so far. Keep it up!