Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Redesign: Link, The Legend of Zelda

The objective of this project was to redesign a character from a fighting game, once finished the character had to be of realistic proportions. Due to being a huge Legend of Zelda fan, I chose to re imagine Link (from the Super Smash Bros series). My thought process was to move the realism into the design of the project, how would Link look if he had actually had faced all the trails of the games he stars in, and better yet, how would he look at an older age, once his adventures had ended? I had an awesome image of a battle scarred, grizzled old veteran, sitting atop the throne as the king of Hyrule. So here is my process in trying to create that:

Any and all feedback or critique would be GREATLY appreciated and thank you for your time.

Here's the start of the face and base mesh, the base was made using zspheres. After several attempts I got a base that I was happy with. Using the book "An Atlas of Human Anatomy" (Stephen Rogers Peck) I've learn a lot about anatomy and tried to put this new found knowledge into the base. I tried to make the base as anatomically accurate as possible, all the while trying to keep it as simple as possible as the majority of it would be clothed.

5Xs9UUB.jpg

rmQqXNH.jpg

X5hAeeF.jpg

Here's the base of the clothing, at this time I am still unsure about the skirt/cape piece. I feel that maybe it could be replaced with something more dynamic, but every time I take it away the piece feels wrong without it.

The armour pieces were made by extracting from the base mesh, polishing, deleting all but one side of the mesh and used Zremesher to get the desired topology, then using GoZ to import to 3DsMax. Here I added a shell modifier to give thickness to the model while retaining the smooth topology, I also added polygroups here to retain shape when subdividing and re imported to Zbrush, finally adding creases to polygroups.

UVrmKjd.jpg

dgaDKpm.jpg

An update on the face, later many adjustments were made according to the feedback of lecturers and peers, such as the smoothness and overall complexity and shape of the ears, the sharpness of the lips, the shape of the bags under the eyes and the shape of the eyelids.

AvBEFCm.jpg

An idea for detail/filigree on the armour, this is a worry of mine and may need to be redone as I made the mistake of masking and using the inflate tool at a negative value at too low of a subdivision, the outcome was very pixelated and may not be able to be fixed by polishing or smoothing.

uHsXdvq.jpg

Updated face:

xArpnBi.jpg

I found adding folds into the clothing incredibly hard, even after doing a lot of research and studies.

WJYFY9f.jpg

ec5PY7n.jpg

Many things have been updated in this next image, such as the folds on the cloak piece, as the were just plain wrong, added more detailing on armour, added hair mesh, slight tweaks to face, added buckles and flap bits to straps.

n5WvyOX.jpg

bb393d3.jpg

I am also unsure about how to make the hair for this character, I feel that a mesh would be easier as I have done it before, but due to the fact that I have never used plains to add hair to a character I need to learn.

Replies

• blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    I suggest taking advantage of the subtool function (I'm assuming you're using zbrush), it will allow you to get a higher polycount on each item and avoid the artifacting you have on the armor.

Also looking at the actual plates on your armor I'm noticing that some edges are way too hard and need some softening if you want them to bake properly.

The folds on the arms and waist-cape thing don't look natural, they don't seem to have any purpose.

Otherwise this is looking pretty good
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Use the Layers function in Zbrush to make non-destructive sculpting that can eb turned on/off, or intensity varied.

Are you using reference for the old man link's face?

Also, Link is a fairly lightly armored. It feels weird he has all this additional shoulder armor and cuirasses. At most, he has gauntlets and undershirt chainmail. I recommend pulling back on the amount of armor you're inputting into the design and focus on a classic look and armory.

The clothing folds needs work and rexamination. They're not quite conforming to the ideas of anchor points, places where tension starts for clothing, such as the crotch or underarms. Google existing references similar to what you need, and study where folds originate and how the splay out and terminate, or how they wrap around forms.
  • AdrianDonaldWilliams
    blinKX10 wrote: »
    I suggest taking advantage of the subtool function (I'm assuming you're using zbrush), it will allow you to get a higher polycount on each item and avoid the artifacting you have on the armor.

Also looking at the actual plates on your armor I'm noticing that some edges are way too hard and need some softening if you want them to bake properly.

The folds on the arms and waist-cape thing don't look natural, they don't seem to have any purpose.

Otherwise this is looking pretty good

Thank you so much for the feedback, I'm using subtools but I haven't gone to that high of a polycount on each piece, I'll start over on the armour detailing and up the subdivisions much more and I'll also round off the plates too. For the folds I think I may get some better references and start over, your dead right in saying they don't look natural, I've been really struggling with it.
    Thanks again!
  • AdrianDonaldWilliams
    Use the Layers function in Zbrush to make non-destructive sculpting that can eb turned on/off, or intensity varied.

Are you using reference for the old man link's face?

Also, Link is a fairly lightly armored. It feels weird he has all this additional shoulder armor and cuirasses. At most, he has gauntlets and undershirt chainmail. I recommend pulling back on the amount of armor you're inputting into the design and focus on a classic look and armory.

The clothing folds needs work and rexamination. They're not quite conforming to the ideas of anchor points, places where tension starts for clothing, such as the crotch or underarms. Google existing references similar to what you need, and study where folds originate and how the splay out and terminate, or how they wrap around forms.

Thank you, your feedback means a lot to me. The reference I have been using for the face was the actor Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister from Game of Thrones), I didn't try to exactly emulate his face but it was used as heavy inspiration. The suggestion of layers is great too, I've just looked into them and they will make life A LOT easier. As for the folds I really need to sort out some good references and start over, I'll really focus on the origin and termination of the folds though. The idea behind the heavier armour was to reflect that in his old age, Link can no longer rely on his strength and agility alone and has had to resort to wearing armour as he has slowed down over the years. Do you feel that this warrants the use of the heavier armour style, or that it detracts from the core design of the character? If it is not instantly identifiable as Link, I've kind of failed the task. Once again thank you for the feedback, I'll try to post up the changes as soon as they are done.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    It seems like you're subdividing up and adding detail too quickly which gives the wrinkles and folds a drawn on look instead of being incorporated more naturally.

The proportions are good, but it's lacking the curves of the body. You can try watching something like this https://gumroad.com/grassetti to give you a better idea.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, your feedback means a lot to me. The reference I have been using for the face was the actor Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister from Game of Thrones), I didn't try to exactly emulate his face but it was used as heavy inspiration. The suggestion of layers is great too, I've just looked into them and they will make life A LOT easier. As for the folds I really need to sort out some good references and start over, I'll really focus on the origin and termination of the folds though. The idea behind the heavier armour was to reflect that in his old age, Link can no longer rely on his strength and agility alone and has had to resort to wearing armour as he has slowed down over the years. Do you feel that this warrants the use of the heavier armour style, or that it detracts from the core design of the character? If it is not instantly identifiable as Link, I've kind of failed the task. Once again thank you for the feedback, I'll try to post up the changes as soon as they are done.

Armor detracts. Lose the armor. Link survives on distinct silhouette and color scheme, and the armor would just make him look like fantasy solder #415 instead of the young elf man with a sword and board.
  • AdrianDonaldWilliams
    Armor detracts. Lose the armor. Link survives on distinct silhouette and color scheme, and the armor would just make him look like fantasy solder #415 instead of the young elf man with a sword and board.

O3rans4.jpg

Just blocking out a tunic instead of the chest armour, I already agree that the silhouette is much more reminiscent of Link, however I still want to keep the asymmetrical design, as it was a main part of my initial design and I don't want to stray too far. I have reduced the size of the shoulder pad though. How do you feel about this design?
  • AdrianDonaldWilliams
    LRoy wrote: »
    It seems like you're subdividing up and adding detail too quickly which gives the wrinkles and folds a drawn on look instead of being incorporated more naturally.

The proportions are good, but it's lacking the curves of the body. You can try watching something like this https://gumroad.com/grassetti to give you a better idea.

Thank you for suggesting those videos, they're fantastic and well worth the money! I see what you mean about the curves of the body. I will definitely try to incorporate anatomy changes into the design, as part of the project is to go back and improve on the initial design (unfortunately I don't think I will have to time to go back before then, but I will after the first hand in).
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7

I think here is a good point "elf boy" while i like your idea putting him into a different age i feel this rough and grim endavour really doesn't fit the image of elfs (or elves) as soft beeings with rich culture. You know who wanted to be Elrond in LotR? David Bowie! I feel that's how someone like Link would age....to become David Bowie (esque). If there is one character i always felt had a future as a Final Fantasy or J-Rock Style character in him then it was Link. I just can't see his soft shapes turn into a grim soldier.

But as said this is just a more "Inline with Zelda" reply, if this is where you want to take it, go ahead iam still curious how things will turn out like :).
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clothing folds.

I will say use real life references, but that's not enough. I'm gonna try to help you analyze what's going on.

In general, folds on clothing radiate away from "anchor points," or places of tension. Places like the knee, crotch, shoulders, etc. are examples of anchor points. As you see these references online of REAL clothing, analyze where the folds are radiating away from, as well as how they wrap around forms as legs are bent or arms are stretched, etc. For example, a lot of folds radiate away from the crotch in many pose positions with legs and pants.
  • AdrianDonaldWilliams
    Jb3IgAO.jpg

3gOcLqY.jpg

I had a couple more attempts at getting the folds correct, still really struggling with the bunching near the boots.
  • AdrianDonaldWilliams
    xoNCpm6.jpg

Quick update on the project, more work on folds and the new less armoured design.
  • Legion_studios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
    I'd say loose the armor entirely im not getting the link feel, he also needs a hood as well perhaps this would make a good reference for his clothing

Link_Artwork_1_(Twilight_Princess).png
  • AdrianDonaldWilliams
    I'd say loose the armor entirely im not getting the link feel, he also needs a hood as well perhaps this would make a good reference for his clothing

Link_Artwork_1_(Twilight_Princess).png

Hello, sorry for the late reply.

I agree with you on that fact that removing the armour would be more "Link-like", but due to the constraints of the project set by lecturers, we cannot go too close to the original design of the character, and have to make a certain amount of changes. I do however really appreciate the feedback, so thank you!
  • AdrianDonaldWilliams