Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dungeon

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JabacOrdof polycounter lvl 3
Hey there, this is my very first thread in Polycount! My name is Eric Kilkenny and I will be taking you through my entire workflow of this dungeon. This is for an assignment, and it is focusing on the importance of repeatable assets when composing an environment. These are all of the blocked out shapes of the stones, walls, torches, and basically all of the important technical stuff. I have brought them into UDK to see how they fit together and to see the overall feel of the scene. My next post will be after I have brought these into Zbrush and gotten that nice detail in them, and then will proceed to put some textures on them. Comments are much appreciated, Constructive Criticism is even more appreciated!

Hope you enjoy!

Eric Kilkenny

Replies

• JabacOrdof
  • sloppymess
    Offline / Send Message
    sloppymess polycounter lvl 8
    Hello!

It's generally good practice to start off with any concepts/references you are using so we can get a sort of feel for your project! I'm not sure if you are doing a hand painted/other style or sort of a realistic style you know? I'm not sure if you are planning to use those little tiny separate blocks for your walls and floor in your final, but It might be worth your time to look into repeating/tiling textures for these instead of a lot of tiny assets. That's just what I would do, at least.

Keep it up!
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, good advice, I shall make sure I do that for my future posts. The stone trim at the bottom of the walls may give me some problems when I attempt to make the low poly versions and bake the normals on, so I may have to look into using the painted texture itself to create the same effect. Right now the walls and corners of the walls have their own trim and they are imported as one object, so I will have to see how they work as I move forward in the project. Thanks a lot for the tips!
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone!
    Sorry I haven't updated this in a while, I got a bit crunched by the amount of work here at school, but I'll try to be more frequent in posting in the future. I showed this to my class today and already have some good feedback for moving forward, but I want to know what you all think too, the good and the bad. I am going to be changing the lighting so its less purple, putting some more care into the ceiling textures, and using more of the vertex painting to break up the tiled walls. Thanks a lot in advance!
    [IMG][/img]MNG1Cbq.jpg
    [IMG][/img]6HGPwsr.jpg
    [IMG][/img]z8NjwhM.jpg
    [IMG][/img]Gx13U0r.jpg
    [IMG][/img]8AVYrve.jpg
    [IMG][/img]iCNYlQw.jpg
    [IMG][/img]FuCVwMs.jpg
    [IMG][/img]780FH2u.jpg
    [IMG][/img]Frg9ElP.jpg
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Some of your pieces are nice, but your composition doesn't have wow yet. Ceiling treatment needs to be reworked. May I offer some suggestions?

8151752856_fa0108ff22.jpg

002_1.jpgc5b5aa93-b7e2-40d0-823f-7adffd6d3ab8Large.jpg

135359621374461700_resized.jpg

Take a look at how things are really constructed, and apply it to your models. It goes a long way to do your homework by studying construction in real life, and in turn reflect that in your artwork.
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a great suggestion, and thank you for the reference images on top of that! Obviously I had originally thought about going the wooden ceiling route, so that second image there would be a great example for me to go off of. I had tried to do something slightly akin to that concept but it was done unsuccessfully and got scrapped so I'll tackle it in a different way more like that one. Thanks!
  • marforno