Home Technical Talk

Rigging tools: Rapid Rig vs. The Setup Machine

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
joarwho polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys,
I'm looking into buying a rigging plugin for Maya. These are the two tools that I'm interested in:
- The Setup Machine for Games
- Rapid Rig Advanced

I have used rigs made with both rigging tools. I really like how Setup Machine-rigs feels when I'm working with them but it cost $99 compared to Rapid Rig which cost $40.

Can you please help me make a list with both pros and cons of these two rigging tools? Facial rig support? Quadruped support? Game engine support? Lack of features? Bugs?

I would really apprecaited your help and input!

Replies

• Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    If your usage fits the licensing terms of AdvancedSkeleton, I strongly recommend you take a look at it.

For me it's a favorite, by far the best one I've used personally. It's great out of the box and also, it's the most flexible and allows easy customization.

It's available here:
    http://www.animationstudios.com.au/advancedskeleton

The only downside is that the license isn't free unless you're a student/non profit, and the price is quite high - 3000$.

Whenever I can, this is the one I'll use. Otherwise, I've only had some experience with TSM, I liked it but felt it was a bit too feature-dense (perhaps the "for games" variation is lighter). For the difference between the two, if you know you like TSM better I say go for it. Over time, it'll pay for itself.