Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Projector Room

Here is a small scene that I created in UE4. It is based off of a digital painting I like that I found on the interwebs (painting by artist Timothy Rodriguez). :poly136:

Original painting (by Timothy Rodriguez):

projection_room_by_timorodriguez-d5oef3o_zpsb86ad1ee.jpg~original

My UE4 render:

ProjectorRoom02_zps17ce5100.png~original

And here a few breakdowns of the scene...

diffuse only: (not sure why decals disappear when lighting is off...)
ProjectorRoom_textures_low_zps3402d343.png~original

mesh breakdown:
ProjectorRoom_mesh01_zps49720557.png~original

textures:
ProjectorRoom_materials01_low_zps9b7771d5.png~originalProjectorRoom_materials02_zps0374d19a.png~original

Replies

• eric0562
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eric0562 polycounter lvl 4
    Beautiful work. I'm really digging the lighting in this.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    to dark overall
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Looks great. I think you got a little AO in your Albedo.
  • RobbZ3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a brighter render to better suit the original painting :)

Thanks for the info Swarm22...guess I'm so used to baking the AO into the diffuse that I didn't think about it when creating my Albedos!

ProjectorRoom03_zpsbe1bbb77.png~original
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Hey,

I would say it still a bit dark, you can try to add some volumetric fog to your light and some dust particle going under them
    Also a lens flare with some dusty effects like naughty dog used in Last of Us.

I would also try to unsharp those render, where the gloss is hitting when you look at them there is a lot of aliasing going on. Either in photoshop and UE4.
    And I would drop a bit the bloom and or gloss on some part, they look a bit wet, plastic part of the projector, and the big pipe coming from the ceiling.

As it is probably a portfolio piece, I would add some geometry in the paper sheet to get them bend and more used then they are right now.

Overall I really like what you have already.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like the main source of light could be moved further away from the wall, towards the two machines. I would much rather have the focal point there than an empty wall and the shelves.

Also, the desk lamp's light is going through the desk. It's great work overall :)
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Really nice work and a faithful production of the source concept.

I agree that there is too much AO in the diffuse/albedo textures. Even though technically there should be none at all I always tend to use a small percentage of AO as a rough guide 5-10%.

For the lighting the original concept has a greater intensity of ambient light. This is still a case in the newer render. One option to simulate GI would be to have a few low intensity point lights with a small radius in areas such as under the shelves to act as light bouncing from the floor and hitting the underside of the shelves as it is in the concept. This will help give the render that warmer feeling you get from the concept.

Alternatively these could be of use:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/Lightmass/index.html

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?530-How-to-enable-Light-Propagation-Volumes-GI-WIP-AND-BETA
  • RobbZ3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I took pretty much all of your crits and put them in to action. I'm starting to stray from concept, but I think it looks better this way :)

ProjectorRoom04_zps664c94ed.png~original
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Nice!
    I am not fan of the floor...perhaps more shiny with no spec/shiny in the scratches if you see what i mean....the scratches looks too big imo but i guess it is a matter of tastes.
    Other than that, great piece ;)
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Great update!

I can see that you fixed the light from passing through the desk by reducing its range, but why wasn't the light blocked by the desk in the first place? I'm using U4 and never really had that kind of issue. Is there a big gap between the desk and the wall?
  • DespicablCheese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DespicablCheese polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome work here! The lighting is definitely getting there, I agree that there are a few shadowing problems; are the reels in the centre casting shadows? They look like they are slightly floating. Also the projectors look very clean in comparison to the surroundings, which have been dirtied up nicely :)
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Nice !

I would also play a bit with the windows above the projector, light them a bit having a cubemap of some sort of theater interior room can bring some depth into them instead of having a black hole.

For the light on the desk you can also try to find an IES profil of a similar lamp and get something accurate. This will also maybe help you with shadow passing through the desk, a hidden plane can also do the trick to get back the intensity of the light without anything passing through.
  • RobbZ3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys again for your wonderful critiques! Taking everything into consideration, I am going to spend some more time with this to get it looking top notch!

Bedrock: the light was passing through because I set the attenuation radius a little too high...

DespicableCheese: not too sure why the film reels on the floor are not casting shadows....looking into that here soon!

Noise: I totally brain farted when it came to adding an invisible plane to block the light...DUH, right? lol

Again, thank you everyone for checking out my little project and giving me some very helpful critiques...keep an eye out in the next day or two for an even more updated render!
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Don't have any real meaningful crit for you but did just want to say it looks awesome! Keep up the good work!
  • krunko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I could walk around this environment in my Oculus Rift DK2.
  • RobbZ3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated again. This time I painted in dirt details to the projector prop along with some of the surrounding props.

I removed some unwanted distractions, such as the bright orange-ish light from the back of the scene and lightened up some of the floor scratches.

Finally, I added some depth behind the projector beam windows...the emptiness behind the windows was killing me!

I'm kinda over the concept at this point, it's more of a reference than anything else. It wasn't translating well into 3D without it looking too boring in my opinion...

Hope you enjoy!

ProjectorRoom_zps40af3933.jpg~original
  • W.martin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn man this scene is looking AWESOME!! I have to say from the first render to this one........ HOLY SHART!! Ridiculously amazing progress. I absolutely love the glass material. I may be crucified for saying this, but I feel it needs a little more variation in the lights color. I feel most of the scene is a bit to warm. I see there is a cool light coming in the upper windows, and splashing on the back wall, just doesn't seem like enough. This may give a little more depth, and contrast. Hell it could something as simple as making the shadow colors a bit cooler. I may be the only one thinking this though. If you still have the first render you did in UE3 before even starting the UE4 revision (I know it exists... insider information), could you please post that next to your newest render?

And I think I wanna be that ass that says this. "It doesn't look like the concept anymore...." =)
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking very cool. How are you going about your light setup? Could you show images of your light placement? Looks really nice and convincing!