Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Baking Materials to Polypaint

Hi all,

Short version: I would like to know if anyone knows how to bake Zmaterials to Polypaint?

Long version: I've done some research online and understand there are a couple of ways to transfer materials and polypaint to a UV'd character (Joseph Durst's methods for example).

I wish to bake the Zmaterial to polypaint of a highpoly sculpt because unlike Durst's workflow I don't have a lower unwrapped subdivision. I understand I could import my unwrapped low poly model, divide and project it onto the high poly but that method is a bit hit and miss for my liking.

In the future I'll be looking to change my workflow to move from a low poly to Zbrush to sculpt and then transferring maps after that, but for now I would like know, simply, if anyone knows of a method for transferring a material to a highpoly sculpts polypaint?

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup - The way I personally do it is by using the screenshot feature, and then projecting the captured screenshot back onto the model with Spotlight. (by the way, why exactly isn't Spotlight called Lightbox and Lightbox called Spotlight ? These names just don't make sense ...)

Of course you will loose any sense of dynamic highlights in the process, but that is an obvious byproduct of the approach. It will also create seams where the various projections meet, but it is all quite easy to fix later. One thing to remember is to first fill the object with a dark color so that you don't end up with white spots in the crevices where the projection doesn't reach.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNaxMpDpOiw&list=UUFxmaQxO_m_REQKHNOpYKNA"]Projecting Zbrush Matcaps back onto a model as Polypaint - timelapse 4x - YouTube[/ame]
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    You can unwrap with UV master in 1 click. Then follow Joseph Durst's method and it should be ok..
  • M0man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior, Thanks man, that looks like the outcome I was looking for, a bit finicky but I'll get the hang of it :D

@Indik I could use UV master, but it wouldn't suit my purposes :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I usually export the document as a PSD file. Then drop it with projection master, zapplink to Photoshop, and paste the PSD on top.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I generally set up the matcap up in Blender and set the lighting to flat. Then I do a full render bake and it works pretty well. Only problem is that is Blender's default baking so it doesn't use a cage, haven't tried it with cycles yet. But it can cause your matcap to not line up with a normal map unless you bake the matcap to a texture on the high poly model first and then use that as the color map in xnormal.