Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique and feedback requested for my Portfolio Website

Potatoe Battery
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Potatoe Battery polycounter lvl 5
So I´m about to finish my portfolio website in order to apply for internships:

perwup.wix.com/petruanton

Any feedback or critique is much appreciated.

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    1. .wix looks unprofessional.
    2. Remove lightbox. It makes it annoying to navigate.

Resume:
    1. Maybe don't post your address. Just your city. A bit too much info. You can include a phone number though but address is weird.
    2. Never include your age.
    3. What the hell do those bars mean for your skill level. They're silly and don't tell the viewer anything.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Dropped by to say I tried to view your website on my phone and... no. Just no.
    Fix your site so it works on phone elegantly, please, and preferably do not use Wix because I won't be able to get to work and be like... "Whoa, did you see this one image on this new graduates portfolio!? It's so good, you can see it at 'perwup.wix.com/petruanton#!Blowup/zoom/cjg9/image1jlt'!".

Your domain name isn't exactly memorable, either. It's understandable that you mightn't be able to afford the monthly costs for something like Wix, but damn, domains can be really cheap with bi-annual fees. My domain name cost me $9, and $12 for two years since. You could easily go with a domain name and use Tumblr + a free or cheap Portfolio theme (those exist and they're actually way better for the purpose than almost anything I've seen from Wix, I say Tumblr specifically because they don't charge if you want a custom domain). It'd be a little more digging around to find something great for what you do, but in the end you'd probably end up with something more usable.

Regarding Mobile, I can't scroll once I get to the images, and the Lightbox doesn't work so well (at all, but specifically on my phone). The resume links are messed up as well.
    Regarding regular browser, Lightbox still doesn't work well (and I'm usually just fine with lightboxes). It's slow to load and I feel cramped while using it.
    You don't need a WIP page. Get rid of that.

Oh, Jesus lord in heaven, please tone down your resume. Polycount Green and Magenta? Pointed Banners and rounded edges? Drop shadows on everything!? This is not doing you any favors. Reduce the fluff and get to the point, also as Beefaroni said; those proficiency sliders tell me nothing. The actual information is fine, I suppose, nothing really grabs me but you don't have any experience quite yet so I guess it's fine.

I'd like to say something about your actual art and projects but honestly your website is getting in the way right now. Good luck getting an Internship.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    I use wix also but i paid for my own domain.

things to do is like they said, remove .wix ... that is your first priority. Next, stop using that slide show, it is annoying as heck and slow to navigate through. Stop doing a work in progress, that shows nothing but uncompleted work and that's not good. maybe a blog would be better so that you can talk about your process, explain your work and train of thought, and get critisim. I didn't check the resume since they already critiqued it and it sounds right, resumes should be creative but simple. to much creativity can be distracting and sometimes confusing when deciphering an artist resume.

you're doing better than most students these days. you started making a website so that is good.

here is mine.

check it out and critic it also if you want. steal some ideas if you like also.

www.jackbanta.com
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    i checked the resume. remove those skill level bars on the side. I didnt know that's what it was until i read the first comment. don't even say how good you are on them. If you know how to use it for your work than you are proficient. that's it. saying anything lower means you don't know how to use it. nobody cares about your interests so remove that also. The color palette is distracting. I will say mine is to simple and I was told that by the people who STILL hired me as an intern BUT yours is to complex and lacking info. Simple is better than complex when the resume starts getting confusing. It feels like your trying to take up space by being creative but it's hurting you at this point. oh yea, remove your birth date. That doesn't matter as an artist and all it will do is bring possible prejudice.