Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Grouping and Smart materials

Seijiro
null
Offline / Send Message
Seijiro null
Hey, I tried searching about this information a bit and was surprised not to find anything.
I have issues with when I create Smart materials (in 1.6) within groups sometimes they land in a completely different place then I expect. Sometimes they land in a group outside my current selected group (woot?).

For instance, I have a group called Crate Doors, inside that group I have 3 other groups, now when I create Scratched Painted Metal 06 it either lands inside one of the groups inside Crate Doors or outside.
If it is outside then the Crate Doors group suddenly is inside Scratched Painted Metal 06.
And the layers that makes up Scratched Painted Metal 06 are inside Crate Doors except for one layer, it's a complete mess.

What I would suggest is creating a better group system. I'm not sure I have to be inside a group to add a Smart material or if I should just have 1 group selected. Tried both, both seemed to work somehow. Like they are fighting with each other deciding where to put the smart material.

So every time I need to add a smart material inside a group I take a gamble as to where it will be placed.
Or maybe it's just me not fully understanding how grouping and smart materials work when they are created.
I am a real stickler when it comes to grouping and organizing things so this is really important to me.

EDIT: Yeah basically what I had to do is to group certain layers and ungroup others and rename stuff to make it be organized the way I wanted it to.

Replies