Home Technical Talk

Many Pbr Questions

rahulcamma
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rahulcamma polycounter lvl 6
We should use real world albedo and specular values in textures.I really don't understand, even if i use something which almost look leather or almost look gold.It should do the job.We are making characters,environment, props etc for games, not for a science project.Where everything need to be dead on.

If i don't have these real world data regarding albedo and specular then what should i do.
Is it necessary to use albedo from a real world data?What if i just use an approximate colour.

On marmoset website it says satin albedo is 0.43 in linear space and 0.69 in srgb.How do i find which linear and srgb value correspond to a particular colour in photoshop or in any other software.There is no option to put a floating value of .43 or .69 in photoshop and get the colour information from it.

specular colour at F0 should be taken from real world.So that it behave physically correct.Where is all this data regarding reflectance at F0 of everything.

I Just don't understand why everything needs to be so precise.For example if i use satin colour as 0.49 or something which is closer to satin instead of 0.43.It will be still be almost satin.The end user that is the gamers are not going to throw there Ps4 or Xbox out of the window just because the value is not spot on.Some people may argue that its almost satin but not exactly satin.Well i don't think the difference would be like night and day, even if you use approximate colour.

How light interact in physically based rendering that show a huge improvement.
But using these dead on value is something i having a really hard time. Going to sleep.I hope i don't have nightmare regarding PBR :poly142: :poly142:

Replies

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    you're right that it's all about communicating materials, and surface properties don't have to be 100% matched to real life in order to look right. that's why observation is always the fallback when you don't already have material value data. but materials are pretty complex, tons of factors can affect our references and how we interpret them. it's easy to misread a reference or make a bad judgment based on a weird picture. and when you have 30 artists on a team all working off different perceptions of reality you start having things happen like: every metal looks different from every other, some plastics are shinier than the rest, etc.

the more you know about the scientific properties of a material the more "knowns" you have when you're making observations. if you know what color a piece of steel actually reflects in real life then it's one less thing you have to derive from looking at a picture. if you don't know, it isn't the end of the world, but you have to think through more things to end up with an accurate result.

in other words, end result is all that matters but using lookup charts is a way of leveraging the observation (or measurement) that others have already done.
  • rahulcamma
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that makes sense.Actually i was thinking from an individual point an view not from an team point of view.Art would consistent when many artist are working on a project.Thank for making it clear.

Just one last thing on marmoset website it says satin albedo is 0.43 in linear space and 0.69 in srgb. How do you find which colour correspond to these value in photoshop.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Those values are defined in 0.0-1.0 space, which maps to 0-255 in photoshop.

To go from 0-1 -> 0-255
    result = x * 255

To go from 0-255 -> 0-1
    result = x * (1/255) = x * 0.00392

To go from Gamma -> Linear
    result = x^2.2

To go from Linear -> Gamma
    result = x^(1/2.2) = x^0.4545

The gamma 2.2 is true in most cases, may differ for some cases.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    For example:

Linear to Gamma

0.43^(1/2.2) = 0.45^0.4545 = 0.6956 (actually 0.6814 if you use more decimals)

Your 0.43/0.69 you asked for in 0-255 space would be:

0.43 * 255 = 110 (linear space)
    0.69 * 255 = 176 (gamma space)
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I was in the same boat bro.
    I was like shit, there's a lot of material values that you just can't find handily on the net.
    But then i just started eye balling the values, and making sure i work proceduraly so my team mates or myself could change the values later on if need be.

Echoing what Amsterdam said, it defiantly makes it a lot easier having the values at hand for communicating materials better between team members. No one's going to call you out if its not 100% accurate though.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    On a less science-y note; Anything can plausibly be any color you want. They can be painted, dyed and otherwise altered or otherworldly. Specular value and Microsurface are the more important values. They define the materials accurately through the numbers more than albedo can define a material through the numbers.

Try not to look at this as sucking the fun out of your artwork, it just makes it so you need to make far less tweaking work and the end result can be used for any lighting situation. :) Quicker to get a base up and running and easier to stay consistent.
  • rahulcamma
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kodde you said "Those values are defined in 0.0-1.0 space, which maps to 0-255 in photoshop".
    Those equations returns a single value.But photoshop understand in terms of RGB,hex,HSB. So how would you find a color with just a single value.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    rahulcamma> I don't know where on the Marmoset site you got these values? Or what they exactly represent. Could it be for something greyscale? Or a luminosity value for where your color should be?

Link?
  • rahulcamma
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    rahulcamma> I don't know where on the Marmoset site you got these values? Or what they exactly represent. Could it be for something greyscale? Or a luminosity value for where your color should be?

Link?

Here is the sebastien Lagrade blog.See "diffuse color" section point 2 "taking physical albedo value" http://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/feeding-a-physical-based-lighting-mode/

on Marmoset web site look in albedo section http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I think those values represent luminosity on that horizontal scale. In reality you would have differing values for R, G and B, but their averaged color would be around those given values in the picture.

I suppose this is the picture you got those values from? I was trying to ctr+f through the page for "satin" and was coming up short :)

albedocompare02.jpg
  • rahulcamma
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    Yeah I think those values represent luminosity on that horizontal scale. In reality you would have differing values for R, G and B, but their averaged color would be around those given values in the picture.

I suppose this is the picture you got those values from? I was trying to ctr+f through the page for "satin" and was coming up short :)

albedocompare02.jpg

Yes that's the picture which i was talking about.But still i have no idea how to use those linear value in term of colour.Where i have to put those values to find the corresponding colour.

Thank you for helping me out.:)
  • EarthQuake
    The linear values are only really important if you're authoring content in linear space, which generally isn't the case for albedo maps.

In terms of what the numbers mean in that image, kodde is correct luminance or brightness. You don't actually have to do any math to figure out what numbers to use, just look at the brightness value in photoshop's color picker.

Its also important to note that these are simply examples of some specific materials. This means that you don't have to stick to those values exactly, for instance rocks come in all different colors.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    3lN3P3S.png

On a serious note though. Don't think about PBR as a harsh set of values, the purpose of charts is to layout a basic guideline for values so when you are authoring materials you have some idea of what your values might look like.

Physically based rendering is certainly a more scientific approach to rendering but the purpose of it is to speed up production, part of that requires the artist to think a little bit more about materials in a real world sense.

If you have not already seen the PBR Encyclopedia I would recommend checking that out HERE It has a load of information and quite a few links to tutorials and breakdowns of how some PBR pieces got their material definition.
  • rahulcamma
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Eq and AdvisableRobin for the advice:).Things are much clear now