Home Technical Talk

Workflow to animate a face

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
starcow polycount sponsor
Hi Guys

After some face-sculptings (stills), my new goal is to animate a face.
A few questions are comming up about the workflow for this task.
I hope you Guys can help me out

1) Is it necessary to sculpt the Face with a opend mouth form the beginning?
Or is it better to focus the visual aspects only in the first round and open the mouth later in the work-process?
I'm asking because it is realy havy to see how the face would look like when the mouth is opend.

2) The other question is about the topolgy for the mouth. I can only find topologys for closed mouthes.
Is there any good exemple, that show how the edges are flowing, when the moths is open?

3) What is in general a good worflow to create a animated face?
What you think about this workflow?

- sculpt the face as a still (closed mouth / no oral cavity)
- retopo the mesh
- go to a Programm like Softimage / Maya /3DMax, cut the mouth-line and open the mouth (rote the jaw-bone)
- And some geometry for the backside of the lips and the oral cavity
- go back to zbrush und sculpt the details of the missing mouth parts (backside of the lips etc.)

Big Thx!

starcow

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    1. I would open the mouth on a layer, its going to be easier to sculpt the lips this way anyway. You don't have to open it too far, just enough. I would also make sure your eye lids are half closed on a separate layer.

2. As for the topology just make sure it's appropriately set up when closed. If you have loops going around the muscles of the mouth in a circular fashion and then loops coming from the corners of the mouth it should open properly.

-Sculpt head, mouth open and eyes half closed on a layer. Save yourself some pain.
    -Retop
    -Texture
    -Rig

Layers can be tricky, so I would get a good blockout going, start refining silhouette , then open the mouth while you're still using dynamesh. Then you'll want to z-remesh, go to the highest sub division you'll want, and then start making layers *edit: this doesn't mean you must work at the highest sub division. It just ensures that you have enough. After you create a layer it becomes difficult to use if you sub divide afterwards.* So I suppose the layer will technically close the mouth when on.
  • starcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starcow polycount sponsor
    Hi jfitch
    sorry for the late response!
    Big Thx for this good Tips! They were very helpful!

Cheers

- starcow