Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest] - Rafael Gonzalez - Tiny

Rafael
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Rafael polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone !

Sorry that I'm late to the party, first time poster and real keen to get involved :D

Just for a little BG, I'm an animation student soon to be graduating and I've managed to partly tie my final research project (on animating heavy characters) for school with a submission into the Riot art contest.

I plan on entering two submissions into the animation division, this here being my first entry, using the free Tiny rig. My goal with this entry is to create a really heavy looking character and still keep with the exaggerated pacing of LOL's cartoony anim style.

I hope you enjoy and I look forward to hearing any feedback! seeing some top notch work in progress has me super excited about this comp :D

Here's some blocking I was working on for Tiny, it'd be his run cycle and is based of the running gait of a gorilla. This blocked animation here is meant to be on track to being real life realistic, which will then serve as base for me to cartoonify and create an entry more fitting for the LOL anim style. I'm doing this realistic version first for my research project, but just thought I'd share :)

jGw7Ibj.gif?1

3cveMEL.gif?1

Replies

• Rafael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafael polycounter lvl 6
    Here's a bit of an update. I've splined up the realistic version of the cycle I'm doing for Tiny. I feel good enough about it to share, just don't mind the popping all around (especially in the elbows, damn super sensitive IK arms).

3qTBlP8.gif?1

DgjQQus.gif?1

Feedback welcome ! I've got mixed feeling about the way this looks currently, not sure if it's the timing or the weight of the character or what.

I'm working on a second test to make him feel heavier, so looking back at this naow it looks awfully light. Will post my heavier tests soon :)
  • Pramanduj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a bit of both, but I'd definitely say you need to make your character look heavier. For example, you're "opening" the fists just when they get to the floor, they should be doing the opposite.

Flexing the arms would actually help you a LOT as well, and rocking more the body front and back would help you make the creature heavier.

I like where this is going, keep it up!
  • Andyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyc polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Rafael,

You are right in that the character looks light. Try playing around with the timing a bit, you can definitely slow it down a little. Also don't be afraid to push the up and down motion too, at the moment he feels like he's floating along.

Don't worry about the limbs right now. Get the hips and body motion down first then the limbs will fall into place.
  • Rafael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafael polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the feedback guys !

Here's another test I'm working on. Trying to make the character look as heavy as I can, like he's the size of King Kong and all muscle.

I slowed it down a tad, shortened his stride length, increased hips/torso oscillation and added more head follow through.

Again, not pushing the animation to be too cartoony yet, just playing around testing ideas to get results. He feels quite a bit heavier to me, though that's mostly in comparison to my previous post lol.

Any suggestions on what I can push to get a heavier look ? Thanks for the help :D

96YlWas.gif?1

p5Sj8bB.gif?1