Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AR15 Assault Riffle

Replies

• chetanmaac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work so far can u upload the uv sheet and gonna need to know how u set ur uv and how much padding u gave in baking normal maps overall it looks great just add some more dirts and camo into it i really like desert one into it cheers mate
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    @EarthQuake
    Thank You for the feedback, yes all very true I wasn't going for optimization with the gun my main goal was to see how accurately I could model aswell as to keep the low poly kitbashable. Will keep in mind the area of the stock and the pistol grip area so its not so noticeable, keep forgetting to go back to the low poly and smooth out that area on the pistol grip so its less noticeable

For example I approached this model in pieces so most of it was separately modeled then stuck it all together as if it was put together in real life; I typically model everything as one so it was fun to practice making sure everything is correct so snapping it like it should was a breeze. But yeah game wise its not a good game ready mesh I did make a quick version spending 10 minutes just removing un-needed stuff and got it to 49k (which is still pretty high hopefully next time my LW Rail doesn't have so many vents spots to it and I can model the rail panels as 1 piece cutting it to a reasonable 35k.

Lastly I will be focusing more on my low poly workflow/and heavily on my texturing with my future models starting with the KA-52 and looking at games such as Battlefield in terms of how much geo to use and more strictly forcing myself to maintain to that count. Just been up in the air as how much geo to use and just making stuff look pretty for my portfolio. As I spent 6 months learning to model then 6 for folio just gonna setup a schedule to learn to make proper low poly/always practice texturing. Hopefully I can equalize all my areas by the end of 2015 :\

@Chetanmaac
    Sure I used 3dcoat and then did tweaking in Maya for the UVing, still pretty new at it but learned alot of things to avoid for my next bake that I am looking forward to. I also picked up 3dcoat which is really awesome. Did a 35% padding which ended up being 4 pixel padding and 8 pixel distance

Anyways here my latest progress, finally done with Texture Pass 1. Not 100% sold on the amount of wear, I looked at battlefield weapon from Hardline and notice they werent to worn
    CwxXBwa.jpg
    z2cnLdw.jpg
    UV Base Snapshot
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Great update. Every time this thread pops up in my inbox I see more solid progress and good crits as well.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Dont dig the FDE EOTECH Shield, Aimpoint, Bolt (?? WTF?), and Brass window.
    Never seen these in FDE, nor are they on RS Weapons

Rest looks alright tho.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    Those totally come in FDE. Except the bolt, which looks more like cerakote but isn't reading quite right. Your base is reading well but texture wise it looks a little cloudy. Level of wear will always be a personal choice but a certain level of wear will definitely give a bit more personality to the gun as if its been used. Doesn't have to be like apocalypse style worn but areas which come in excessive contact with hands and surfaces will get dinged up real fast. And if you're considering the weapon would be used in a combat zone, dust and dirt are everywhere. Again it's up to you but I think it would benefit from little bit of "used" wear.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback slowly learning each day so just updating the thread to showcase my journey, I'll keep upping the wear as I progress along I did add dirt to the dark earth bits but they dont show up very well.

@LonePenguin/Runkugel: Yes it was cerakote that I was referring but ill go back and refine the bolt carrier, eotech shield, and add some more gloss pop to the aimpoint magnifier. As for the bolt carrier I did find a reference of it color a dark earth tone: http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Leitner-Wise-Manufacturing-Enhanced-Bolt-Carrier-Group1-618x287.jpg

Think the metal/rough are a bit high so gives off a aluminum brown. Ill be doing a 2nd pass in the next 4 days and adding a desert camo to the metal (upper/lower/lw rail). Do a bit of normal cleanup/modeling smoothing/add the glass to the magezine and start getting it ready for GDC.
    I have a tutorial to setup a cool FPS scope for the EOTECH I am waiting to try out,
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Geee.. now they eloxate Bolatcarriers... Utter crap.
    That stuff will come off at instant.

Well, keep the FDE, you have to change the tone tho. It´s too similar to the rest of the FDE Color.

Also, most FDE Colors vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from batch to batch.

I´d also break on the colors of the metal parts.
    These are aswell often in different shades.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone just a small update, I took EarthQuake critique and did a little optimization to get it down to 35.7k just for the added practice and to showcase I could. A couple of error with using the same normal map as before but nothing a day of rebaking could'nt fix/bigger uv for majority of my stuff. I also combined the stock piece EarthQuake mentioned into all one piece and still got the fake separation (thanks will keep this in mind). I also had the privalage to critique a friend gun and picked up some nice poly saving techniques I can't wait to try. Now to get back to those textures

(Could do a bit more optimisation, mainly wanted to hit my 35k mark
    kLamCzP.png
    Old Normal Map, minor errors easy to fix if I where to rebake
    FaaViNh.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what EQ was saying was that the entire back part of the stock could be a flat surface. Intsead you have geo for every bit there.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah understood I wanted to showcase it overall in-case the weapon was laying on the ground at a shooting range and someone looked down at it. Or slung over on a character back in 3rd person; aswell as just doing a full profile view for my portfolio, but if I just made it simple it would get it down to 30k-31k

Such as The Division weapons
    M416 3d Model Division
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shinigami: You should buy this tutorial: http://www.3dnice.net/game_weapon_dev.html its only $2 really cheap and walk you step by step how to model that specific AFG aswell as how to model a Scar-L and bring it into UE4. I also need to learn how to make tutorials as I been asked, or atleast upload some captures

Finally finished Texture Pass 2 just in time for GDC, going to do a full crunch on my ka-52 and try get as much done high poly wise.
    zZW8c8h.jpg
    cAKFO5a.jpg
    hISoGzG.jpg
    C5VViio.jpg
    pOlzyHW.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get some FP view shots up in here.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Shinigami wrote: »
    Broo, could you make a quick tut on how to make that grip on the front

I don´t know. Neither the AFG in the tutorial nor yours is accurate. Both versions miss the really "diffucult" parts like the smooth transitions. Don´t get me wrong, I love your rifle. But I own some of the modeled parts (like the AFG) and these parts really stand out not to be accurate.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @C86G
    Yeah that was one piece that I wanted to revisit to nail the shape better, rushed it a little bit as it was the last piece I modeled. But the best way is to take a side view image and nail down the spot where the big bolt is using a plane and extruding as you go along. Then the rest will just be a matter of moving verts as that the toughest area
    @Pedro Here the fps view, still need to get it into UE4 once I have some freetime
    5e5IKJL.jpg
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11