Home Technical Talk

Brand Colors In 3D Studio Max (color is off)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I've been having for awhile now that's a bit different from the usual game models.

Recently I've been doing a lot of video and design work for corporations, and for some reason whenever I use the rgb values or a texture map in 3D Studio max the colors always seem a bit off, which creates a problem since companies are very strict about having their brand colors as accurate as possible.

I followed this link: http://www.workshop.mintviz.com/tutorials/colour-correct-rgb-values-within-autodesk-3ds-max/ and it seems to alleviate the problem a bit when something is a solid color, but a lot of my materials use photoshop documents as bitmaps for things like logos and designs so the simple calculator trick doesn't really work for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I usually end up using the quicksilver renderer option since I'm never given enough time to wait for mentalray's render times, so I'm not sure if that might be the case as well.

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Are your gamma settings correct? If you render in linear space you have to be sure the input images are linear too OR you have to set them to srgb. If you don´t have a linear color profile for photoshop your images are saved in srgb color space which is the default. This is why your colors are maybe "washed out" in your renderings.