Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Curvature map from Object Space Normal map?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
final_fight polycounter lvl 9
So, I know that DDO makes Curvature map from Tangent Normal map, but what about Object Space Normal? Is there a way to make curvature from such map in Photoshop manually?

Replies

• teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes there is!

When we were texturing this high-poly mesh, we used a curvature map that was created from an Object Space Normal:

10NVtG6

This was an experimental process, but the current workflow looks like this:

1) Apply the Surface Blur filter on the Object Space Normal in Photoshop with a 16-48 pixel radius

2) Open xNormal and select the Object Space to Tangent Space conversion tool

3) Load the mesh and blurred Object Space map, and bake out a tangent space normal map

4) Voila! Local edges based on the object space. Load it in PS, open NDO and convert it to a cavity map.

5) Load the new cavity map into the Curvature slot and you will now get proper Curvature based on the Object Space Normal

This is written from the top of my head, and we will try to automate and better document this workflow as the method gets a final fine tuning. I hope this helps meanwhile!

- Teddy
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Just tried this process and it works a treat. I'd like to see this option in nDO "convert Object Normal to Curvature Map". That'd be really helpfull.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks a lot, Teddy.