Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest: Animation] - Derek Zivolich

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Derelicte polycounter lvl 4
Final Walk & Ultimate Attack:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXT4kFIj0cY[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ZoH1ONvRM[/ame]

Hey everyone,

Derek here! Recently saw the contest and I'm here to join the fun! When brainstorming animation ideas, I immediately thought of Paul Tosca's Nyra character. I reached out to Paul and now I have his blessing to use his awesome character for the competition!

tt1_02.jpg

For the past few days, I've been rigging. Got the basic skelleton and skin weights done. About to start adding controls with IK/FK switches for the arms, and legs. I'm going to make the arms, legs, and torso stretchable for exaggeration and such. Shortly after will come the facial rig. I plan to use a joint based facial rig. Once that's all out of the way, I'll be adding necessary pose space deformers and ncloth sims. Then the fun stuff happens! Animation time!

Obligatory Rigging WIPs:
RIOT-UPDATE-02.jpg
RIOT-UPDATE-01.jpg

Back to rigging!

Replies

• zuangster
    Holy Molly. This is going to end up beastly. Good luck!
  • Ryonok
    Holly smokes that looks awesome!!! :D
  • Evanescfan
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the love. It's update time!

Didn't have as much time today, but what I did finish was tackling a problematic part of the rigging. I wanted to the ornate-armor to follow her properly, while not deforming (excluding the rope parts holding them together). Had the breakthrough late last night and finished it up just now. Worked out quite nicely I feel.

Obligatory Rigging pics:
    xRIOT-UPDATE-03.jpg.pagespeed.ic.PQrbiUI3yf.jpg
    xRIOT-UPDATE-04.jpg.pagespeed.ic.aObPC0eugA.jpg

I'll have a lot more progress tomorrow evening since I have the day off!

G'night!
  • Mokia_Sinhall
    This is gonna look gorgeous when you are done
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mokia_Sinhall!

The rigging continues! Been working on stretchy bones for the arms and torso today. Pole vector constraints for the elbows gave me a little trouble, but figured it out! Still much more to do, but starting to get faster with the rigging workflow (It's been so long).

The usual obligatory rigging WIPs:
    RIOT-UPDATE-05.jpg
    RIOT-UPDATE-06.jpg
    RIOT-UPDATE-07.jpg

My goal is to finish the rig by Friday night, so I can spend the weekend going through some action thumbs and exploring my animation ideas!

See ya tomorrow night!
  • Evanescfan
    Rigging scares me some times.
    Especially when I start seeing those material box thingies...
  • Ellendia
    Wha :o I can't wait to see the animations that you will make with this rig !
    And sometimes rigging looks a little scary for me too, as you Evanescfan ><
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I know that feel when it comes to rigging. It's important to know though, so that's why I've been forcing myself to relearn it in addition to more advanced stuff I never learned while in school. The Learning Train never stops! :P

Speaking of which, rigging update time! Spent the night learning how to incorporate an IK/FK switch on the stretchy limbs! Took longer than expected, but I understand it now! Tomorrow I should be able to knock out the other arm and legs. And if by chance I'm all "Baller Out of Control Rigger" status tomorrow, I may even get to start the facial rig! Still looks like my goal for Friday night is legit.

Obligatory (Scary) Rigging Pics:
    RIOT-UPDATE-08.jpg
    RIOT-UPDATE-09.jpg

Time to nap, rigging continues when I wake.

Happy Animating!
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Been busy busy busy over here! Looks like everyone's been plugin' away while I was gone! :D

Update Time!

So I'm really close to finishing the rig! I now have the stretchy rig on the spine, arms, and legs. IK/FK Switch for the arms and legs. Armor and weapons are all rigged, along with some other geometry that will have secondary animation. Just have to do the facial rig, nCloth setup, and little extra love on some skin-weights. Then it's go time!

Been learning tons while working on this rig. It feels awesome to have a good grasp on how the rigging stuff works and how to problem solve the unexpected. I plan on taking some time in the future to learn some MEL scripting for some happy fun times. But animation first! Speaking of which, I'm so antsy that I made a quick pose for the heck of it. Glad it's working out!

Obligatory Rig Pics w/ Pose Test:
    RIOT-UPDATE-10.jpg
    RIOT-UPDATE-11.jpg
    RIOT-UPDATE-12.jpg
    RIOT-UPDATE-13.jpg
    RIOT-UPDATE-14.jpg

Really pumped! See you all tomorrow night, after work!

Happy Animating,
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    This is going to be interesting! :D
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

Thanks, Kristoffer! Started the facial rigging part tonight. Got all the Joints and controllers situated. Next part is adding skin-weights to the facial rig, add some additional expressions to some key controllers, and some pose space performers!

Won't be able to do much tomorrow, since I'll be out of town.

Obligatory Facial Rig WIP:
    RIOT-UPDATE-15.jpg

More updates on Wednesday!

Happy Animating,
  • icontak
    Wow this model looks amazing and the rig is coming along really well. One question for you. Are you going to have enough time to start animating? You definitely should start animating her asap.

good luck!
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks icontak! To answer your question: Absolutely! I have a more open schedule coming up. Plus I'm just a lot faster at animating. It's been a couple years since I've rigged something in 3D, so had to brush up on it and learn new things in the process. Either way, 5 weeks is plenty of time!

In other news: CTN is coming guys! And I'll be there! Been missing California, and can't wait to go back!

Rig Update: The main controllers and skin-weights are finished on the head! Currently creating and integrating blend shapes into the master controls; for automated and fluid animation. I'll show more later, gotta run off to bed.

Sneak peak of Blend Shape Shenanigans:
    RIOT-UPDATE-16.jpg

Gnight!
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! The facial rig is complete! I made all the basic blend shapes with my curve shapes; which control my joints. Everything is in place for the rig. Just need to set up the nCloth tomorrow night on a few pieces, then it's animation time!

Facial Rig Stuff:
    RIOT-UPDATE-17.jpg

On a side note: I do plan to add/sculpt some pose space deformers for the face since the curve-blend shapes are a bit limited. It's still a solid base to work with, but I want more expressive and cleaner emotes so I can do some dialogue animations with this rig; eventually. So this extra stuff will come later!

G'night Peeps!
  • xiang Liu
    looking forward to ur work!!!
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I finally return!

So I haven't been able to upload my submission for some reason, been trying for the past few hours. Hopefully the cool cats at Polycount will help me out.

Hope everyone had an awesome Turkey Day! CTN was awesome. Got to meet some rad people And see some old friends while out in the LA area. Also stopped in the Bay area on the way home and got some pictures of the gates of Pixar Studios! I plan to work there some day!

Looks like everyone has been busy while I’ve been gone. I see a lot of awesome stuff and a lot of last minute-new faces! Glad to see more animators.

Speaking of animation, I finally got time to get mine done. This was a fun filled project and learned a lot while working on it. I wish i had more time available to work on more animations and also touching up what I’ve done; silly responsibilities.I went a little overboard with the attack, even though I wanted to do a lot more with it. Hope you guys like em’ and props to all the awesome fellow contestants!

Happy animating!
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utxkjGSDV40[/ame]

(More coming)
  • Derelicte
  • Derelicte
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again, Happy Animating and Happy Holidays!

Final Attack:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utxkjGSDV40[/ame]

Final Walk:
  • Derelicte
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    Even though the contest is done, I wanted to give my attack animation some final polish since my time was limited during the competition. Here it is!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ZoH1ONvRM[/ame]

Happy Animating,

-D